Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2012, 02:38 PM

Default CoreAudio Problem, Mbox 2 Mini Recognized but No Sound Through Any Apps/Hanging DAW's

Hey guys, I'm having a problem with my system. I've been running Logic Pro 9 and Ableton Live 8.2.6 on my 8 Core Mac Pro with OS X 10.7.3 for quite a while with no problem, until I tried updating CoreAudio. I did this for no other reason but that I saw there was an update to CoreAudio version 8.3 from the 7.4.2 I had been running. Everything had been working fine for quite some time, minus the fact that I was getting some crackling/distortion through the speakers with some software and wanted to see if it was related to the CoreAudio since I had read that people were having similar problems.

Now that I updated, my Mbox Mini 2 is being recognized under Audio/Midi Preferences, and I am getting sound when I do a test tone through Speaker Configuration. The problem is that I'm not getting any sound through any software on my computer at all; any internet browser, audio software, iTunes, nothing. In fact, I can't even open my DAW's (Logic, Ableton and Reason) because they hang up when trying to load. I made sure the Mbox and CoreAudio were selected as the default device, and deleted all CoreAudio files and tried to reinstall version 7.4.2, but still nothing. Like I said, its not the speakers as I can hear the test tone when I click Configure Speakers.

This is so frustrating, I'm loosing out on a ton of work and having no sound for anything else isn't fun either. Any insight would be amazing. I hope I posted to the right forum. I tried looking up the problem via search but couldn't find anything similar.

Thanks, P.J.

Update-

I just tried playing a video on YouTube and the video fully downloaded but I couldn't let it play through. If I click on a later spot in the video the picture will update to the corresponding part, but the video/audio won't play. I tried a few other sites, but anything related to Flash Player is not working either. I have a feeling this is all tied in to the CoreAudio problem. I don't know if this helps anyone in being able to spot to the problem, but I thought it was worth mentioning since this all started happening once I updated CoreAudio.

Thanks again.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:46 PM

Default Re: CoreAudio Problem, Mbox 2 Mini Recognized but No Sound Through Any Apps/Hanging D

Ugg.. if anyone has any ideas at all, I'm getting pretty desperate here. I tried a reinstall again, but no dice.

Thanks.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:22 PM

Default Re: CoreAudio Problem, Mbox 2 Mini Recognized but No Sound Through Any Apps/Hanging D

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I was coming to the conclusion that I was going to end up having to do a clean reinstall. I'm actually looking forward to the idea, hoping it will clear up some other issues as well I'm having with the system.. I'll also learn my lesson and back up to Time Machine more often, as I haven't in months. Live and learn I guess.

I'm going to try one thing first. If I remember correctly, when I tried installing Pro Tools 9 about a year ago (which obviously didn't work), the audio wasn't working, and then I deleted and installed CoreAudio and then things worked. I'm not sure if I deleted files that were needed, but hopefully this will reclaim them. Its an odd way to try and fix the problem, but then again this is an odd situation.

Thanks again. I'm going to wait a day or two before I do the clean reinstall so if anyone else has any ideas I'm going to give myself time to get everything backed up to my external before I go ahead and do anything.