How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2011, 12:09 PM

Location: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Observable Universe
Default 2.6.1 Feedback

Ok, I've just tested the new 2.6.1 firmware.

First of all I wish to say thanks, it did noticeably reduce the motor noise, jittering and ~ vol collision.

I tested the new firmware with looping automation curves on 4 channels distributed 5 times over my 20 faders (2 Mix and 1 control).

One repercussion of the new firmware is that it is now easier to spot noise and from which fader it comes:
One of my Mc Mix bought most recently (still a Euphonix Mc Mix but I believe the second issued build) works perfectly, the ~ vol collision sound is barely noticeable. There is no fader jitter at all (very smooth). In other words, it's perfect.

On my older Mc Mix (first generation - or maybe they're both the same, bought earlier anyhow), the collision sound of the ~vol is much more present than on the other unit, but still a huge improvement over the previous driver. Is it possible that this older generation of Mc Mix react to the firmware differently? Seems like that unit touches the bottom pf the fader harder than the other one. The faders movement is generally much smoother however.

Another issue I found on that unit: Faders 5 and 6 jitter slightly when changing direction around the 0 db mark (with 2.6.0 all faders jittered). I presume this must be an hardware problem. If this is not improved with another eventual firmware I should perhaps try to exchange the unit at the store while it is still on warranty (but then would I have both a black and an aluminum mix...?). Any advice?

The V1 Control is greatly improved as well, but makes more noise than the other perfect Mc Mix.

Overall this is a huge improvement over the previous firmware and I am more than satisfied.

Thousand thanks,
Old 08-25-2011, 02:06 PM

Default Re: 2.6.1 Feedback

Yes, BIG difference.
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 08-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xill View Post
Ok, I've just tested the new 2.6.1 firmware.

First of all I wish to say thanks, it did noticeably reduce the motor noise, jittering and ~ vol collision.

I tested the new firmware with looping automation curves on 4 channels distributed 5 times over my 20 faders (2 Mix and 1 control).

One repercussion of the new firmware is that it is now easier to spot noise and from which fader it comes:
One of my Mc Mix bought most recently (still a Euphonix Mc Mix but I believe the second issued build) works perfectly, the ~ vol collision sound is barely noticeable. There is no fader jitter at all (very smooth). In other words, it's perfect.

On my older Mc Mix (first generation - or maybe they're both the same, bought earlier anyhow), the collision sound of the ~vol is much more present than on the other unit, but still a huge improvement over the previous driver. Is it possible that this older generation of Mc Mix react to the firmware differently? Seems like that unit touches the bottom pf the fader harder than the other one. The faders movement is generally much smoother however.

Another issue I found on that unit: Faders 5 and 6 jitter slightly when changing direction around the 0 db mark (with 2.6.0 all faders jittered). I presume this must be an hardware problem. If this is not improved with another eventual firmware I should perhaps try to exchange the unit at the store while it is still on warranty (but then would I have both a black and an aluminum mix...?). Any advice?

The V1 Control is greatly improved as well, but makes more noise than the other perfect Mc Mix.

Overall this is a huge improvement over the previous firmware and I am more than satisfied.

Thousand thanks,
Xil,

Your faders will wear over time. We did our best to eliminate noise, jitter, and slam across many generations of product. To complicate this further, no two faders are exactly alike. Faders that have experienced more wear will travel with less friction. That is why faders on your older units are traveling to the bottom of the track faster than the new one.

Regarding the slight movement around 0 dB on faders 5 and 6, which is only happening during a direction change, does the slight jitter stop when it continues travel?

Please qualify the behavior on your older unit against how they behaved before the firmware update. Our aim was marked improvement on all units in the field, and I think we have achieved that.

JC
Old 08-25-2011, 03:24 PM

Very satisfied. Motor noise has finally gone on MC Mix, faders move smoother while banking, etc... Actually, it produces less noise than my Command8 after this update. It's time to think about another MC Mix while the old version is still on stock and much cheaper than Avid's branded.
AVID HD Native PCIe + HD OMNI; Digidesign 192 I/O (2x) & 96 I/O; Icon QCON Pro & QCON EX; Softube Console 1; NI Kontrol 25; Arturia SparkLE; UAD-2 Satellite DUO; UAD-2 PCIe DUO; Tascam DA-3000; TK Audio BC1-S; Warm Audio WA76; SSL XLogic Alpha Channel (x2); SSL X-PATCH; Lindell Audio 6X-500, 7X-500 & PEX-500 (all x2), lots of TCE & Lexicon reverbs; VintageMaker LittleOne 16/2 Summing Mixer; MUTEC MC3+ SmartClock; Mac Pro (2009) 8 Core 2.26; 24 Gb RAM; Pro Tools HD 12.8
Old 08-25-2011, 05:40 PM

I agree and bravo on the fader improvements. Now if the chopped-off screen UI glitches can be fixed, I'll be a happy camper.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:22 PM

I've been away and just got it all updated today. Nice work. Loving the fader movement. It no longer scares me.
Good one Avid.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:25 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post
I agree and bravo on the fader improvements. Now if the chopped-off screen UI glitches can be fixed, I'll be a happy camper.
Are you possibly choosing a custom font? If so - if you go back to the default font, does the text still get chopped off?
Old 08-25-2011, 09:56 PM

Location: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Observable Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Haydon View Post
Xil,

Your faders will wear over time. We did our best to eliminate noise, jitter, and slam across many generations of product. To complicate this further, no two faders are exactly alike. Faders that have experienced more wear will travel with less friction. That is why faders on your older units are traveling to the bottom of the track faster than the new one.

Regarding the slight movement around 0 dB on faders 5 and 6, which is only happening during a direction change, does the slight jitter stop when it continues travel?

Please qualify the behavior on your older unit against how they behaved before the firmware update. Our aim was marked improvement on all units in the field, and I think we have achieved that.

JC
Hi and thanks for the support. I am more than happy about my Euphonix equipment and understand that at that price there are limitations and also that faders have less friction after a certain amount of time. As for the jitter, it is only when there is a direction change and yes it stops after.

It is acceptable noise, I can work with it without problems.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Are you possibly choosing a custom font? If so - if you go back to the default font, does the text still get chopped off?
What is the default font.. arial bold? I've changed a lot of buttons and it's easier for me to search/replace the XML file. Changing to arial bold has reduced the problem but it's still occurring sometimes.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:15 PM

I have to ask, besides the fader issues, what else is new?

any of the promised items?