Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2009, 12:05 PM

Default Command 8 fader resolution

Hi all
Considering buying a command 8 but weighing up alternative options... The main things which makes or breaks it for me is the fader and knobs resolution. I understand that Command is basically a midi device for PT, be it connected via usb or actual midi cables.
I wondered whether the fader resolution actually arriving and being useful to Pro Tools is therefore any better than with any other HUI device? Same for the knobs?

Also, I would like to know if anyone knows whether there's any difference in terms of quality and resolution of faders and knobs between the old command 8 from 2004 and the latest 003 ?

If anyone could shed some light, that would be much appreciated...

thanks a lot
Old 09-04-2009, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Command 8 fader resolution

I believe they all use the HUI protocol which is 1024 steps in the fader path. Mackie MCU protocol is apparently the same. As far as motor-fader hysteresis and the resolution of your coffee-shaking finger on the fader, YMMV :)
Old 09-04-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgreiner View Post
I believe they all use the HUI protocol :)
Actually, this is incorrect. The HUI protocol is only 8 bits and only allows 256 possible values, this results in .3 dB and larger jumps (as you progress towards the bottom of the fader.)

Mackie and ANY other 3rd party controller being used in Pro Tools is limited to this "coarser" 8 bit resolution. Worth noting, is that the Mackie MCU controllers on Logic use the full 10 bits of resolution.

Roger Nichols claims that anyone, with practice, can learn to detect .1 dB changes in level.

The Command|8 & 003 use 10 bit resolution which does give 1024 steps and allows for .1 dB changes in the top throw of the fader.

Just clarifying.

Best :)

Walt
Old 09-05-2009, 03:57 AM

ah thats interesting, did you come across any official website from digi which would back this up?
I'm just a bit confused cos its a midi device for PT and it would kind of make sense then if it would use the HUI protocol in some way....?
I'm also getting conflicting info about the HUI protocols capabilities I heard values form 128 steps to 512 steps, the latter probably would be acceptable for me, since I'm not 100% sure I'm quite there yet with the 0.1db detection and the interpolation that happens in PT anyway.

Maybe anyone official could chime in?
Cheers
M
Old 09-05-2009, 08:23 AM

It is in the Pro Tools manual, MIDI control surfaces in Pro Tools have only 7 bit resolution resulting 128 discrete steps, which is interpolated to 24 bits. All Digi control surfaces have 10 bit resolution, 1024 discrete steps, also interpolated to 24 bits. HUI will have less fader resolution than Command 8. Depending on your use of the HUI, that may or may not be important to you.

Digital Media Engineer
Discovery Communications
http://corporate.discovery.com/
Old 09-05-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio_Vision View Post
It is in the Pro Tools manual, MIDI control surfaces in Pro Tools have only 7 bit resolution resulting 128 discrete steps, which is interpolated to 24 bits. All Digi control surfaces have 10 bit resolution, 1024 discrete steps, also interpolated to 24 bits. HUI will have less fader resolution than Command 8. Depending on your use of the HUI, that may or may not be important to you.

Do you mean this:
Most MIDI control surfaces have 7-bit resolution, or 128 steps.
Pro Tools interpolates this input to 24-bit reso-
lution on playback, resulting in accurate and
smooth fader automation.

What confuses me about this is that it says "MOST" so that, to me, means there is a possibility that a HUI device can send more and PT understands more than 128 steps, no?
Old 09-09-2009, 12:44 AM

Could any of the moderators shed some light, maybe?
Much appreciated

M
Old 10-22-2009, 02:37 AM

Frontier Design claim that their Alpha Track emulates a HUI and functions according to the HUI protocol with a resolution of 1024 Steps.