Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Delay Compensation with PTLE 7...

I'd just like to know what's going on with delay compensation with PTLE... I heard someone say that there is delay compensation... something to do with the H/W buffer. I think if this is Digi's excuse for Delay Comp, that's pretty sad.

I am really interested in when they will be incorporating PROPER delay compensation for not only plugins but the A/D and D/A ins and outs as well. They have incorporated hardware inserts into ProTools LE for using outboard gear during mixing (which I use on a regular basis), however this feature is virtually useless without proper delay compensation for the A/D's and D/A's to back it up. They should also allow you to "ping" your 3rd party ADAT and S/PDIF converters to compensate for their delay as well.

As it is right now you need to set your H/W buffer size at the absolute minimum in order to get rid of the ridiculous "tape delay" latency when using outboard gear during a mix. And when you do set the H/W buffer to the lowest setting, not only do you loose virtually all ability to use RTAS plugins in a mix (even on my Dual 1.8 G5 w/1gb RAM), but you still get obvious phasing, which is especially discouraging when trying to mix drums.

I am more than a little disappointed that Digi overlooked this important feature in the latest ProTools LE release. It is not a feature that would negatively affect HD sales, which is the major argument for digi not expanding LE's track count.

Digidesign, please add this feature in the next update of ProTools LE.

- Adam
Old 10-07-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Delay Compensation with PTLE 7...

Totally agree.
Digi is totaly ignoring importent things like this if you work professionally.I mailed them a year ago and got the answer they were working on these issues.The work didnt lead to anything Im sad to say.I hope they dont follow Logic (apple) quantity instead of quality.Maby I just buy DP and skip pro-tools but I like the interface.So we see what happens.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:10 PM

Yep, its sad that they left this out. I'm sure they have a million requests from users on what they want in the next release, but this pretty much makes plugins unusable BEHIND the dry track. It makes using outboard pretty unusable.

its frustrating that they would hobble the software like this just to push HD sales.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:16 AM

Quote:
its frustrating that they would hobble the software like this just to push HD sales.
It doesn't push HD sales - it pushes Logic Pro and DP sales.

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 10-08-2005, 03:49 AM

I bought Logic for larger sessions but cant find myself comfortable with the interface and I find that the sound in logic to be inferiour to Pro-tools.So I hope DP sounds as good as pro-tools.Can you guys give information on that.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Quote:
It doesn't push HD sales - it pushes Logic Pro and DP sales.

Well said!

What we've been asking for for years and what they've come up with are two different things, excluding proper Dual Processor Support.

Where's the Surround mixer?
Where's the Auto Delay Compensation feature?
it does look like they've improved the Import Session Data window but we'll have to see how well.
Where's the Digi003? (with pads on the mic pre's please!!!)
All this MIDI improvement going on????????? MIDI came out in the early 80's, c'mon guys? If I wanted better MIDI, then I'd use PD right.
Where are all the tracks (at least 48)

The statement made above is soooo true. ("It doesn't push HD sales - it pushes Logic Pro and DP sales.")

Well we'll have to see what it's really like once it comes out.

At least today I get to try my new Dynaudio BM15a's and a Presonus ADL 600. We'll see what that does for me. mmm fun.

Digi001
(RME adi-8 pro)
G4 MMD Dual 1g + 1.25g RAM
PTLE 6.4 (DVToolkit)
Mac. OS 10.3.3
3 Lacie 80g FW Audio Drives
Old 10-08-2005, 09:09 AM

man,....is digi going to stop supporting the digi 001? everything they bringin out is for the diggi 002 and up, whats up with that???? i spent my money just like everyone else (maybe not recently but still spent it) to get the hardware and now i gotta suffer with no updates because the stuff you makin doesnt support what i have??????? is it that costly to make it compatible? i mean cmon....
Old 10-08-2005, 12:45 PM

Quote:
man,....is digi going to stop supporting the digi 001? everything they bringin out is for the diggi 002 and up, whats up with that???? i spent my money just like everyone else (maybe not recently but still spent it) to get the hardware and now i gotta suffer with no updates because the stuff you makin doesnt support what i have??????? is it that costly to make it compatible? i mean cmon....
Uhhhh..............are you serious?

The 001 hasn't been supported for over a year now, not since PTLE 6.4.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:56 PM

yeah im serious what, i gotta have the latest stuff just to get upgrades? not everyone has the finances to just go get the newest hardware at the drop of a dime when it comes out, but they can at least make the programs compatible what does that seem funny to you? in some way?? im not a proffessional engineer, i record my own stuff at my house but i would like to be able to use the upgrades of pt without having to shell out 1200 on up to do so
Old 10-08-2005, 04:04 PM

Maybe we'll finally get TimeAdjuster plug-in so at least we'll be able to compensate in samples rather than GUESSING or NUDGING....