Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2006, 12:45 PM

Default quick antares auto tune 4 question

When I am installing antares auto tune 4, should I install the direct x installer or the RTAS installer or both? I am running pro tools m-powered 7.0 with an m audio firewire 1814 on my laptop. Thanks,
Seth
Old 02-01-2006, 01:31 PM

Default Re: quick antares auto tune 4 question

RTAS, unless you have another app, that hosts Direct-X.
good luck,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 02-01-2006, 08:25 PM

When doing vocals, should I run the vocal track through antares auto tune first before adding any effects such as reverb, eq, compression, etc. How do you guts do it to get a good vocal sound. Also, I am currently recording a terrible singer and have to try my best to fix his off key vocals but when I do, some of the notes seem electronic or phasery. Is there a tip you guys can give me for smooth natural pitch correction? Im sure with a good singer this wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Thanks,
Seth
Old 02-01-2006, 08:42 PM

Quote:
When doing vocals, should I run the vocal track through antares auto tune first before adding any effects such as reverb, eq, compression, etc.
Yes. I usually use it on an alt playlist with AudioSuite.
Quote:

How do you guts do it to get a good vocal sound. Also, I am currently recording a terrible singer
....well....how much time do have? I worked with a guy at a music store several years ago who used to tell potential customers they would be better off spending the money on lesions than buying the guitar.

Quote:
and have to try my best to fix his off key vocals but when I do, some of the notes seem electronic or phasery. Is there a tip you guys can give me for smooth natural pitch correction?
futz, futz, and more futz. Graphic mode. Then throw up your hands and insert a chorus with heavy detune.

Quote:
Im sure with a good singer this wouldn't be as much of a problem.

You are absolutely correct.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:48 AM

Hey thanks for the awesome tips. Tbe way I use it is...after tracking, I create a new track and name it AT and run the original vocal out to a bus and set the new tracks (AT) input to the same bus I sent the original vocal out to. I fix sections at a time and then record the fixed sections to the new track. Now, the way that I insert auto tune is through the inserts in the mix window, which I know takes up more cpu. But, after I have corrected the vocals and they are recorded to the new track, if I take the inserted auto tune plug in off of the track, it will be as if I hadn't used a plug in, and the vocals will be in tune on the new track correct? I am just trying to save cpu power. Also, I got this method of correcting vocals from another post on this forum, but I dont really know why I have to use buses...I do and it works great, but couldn't I just insert auto tune on a track, fix the vocal and solo the track and record it to the new track, same thing? I dont fully understand buses yet...any help or tips would be great!

Thanks,
Seth
Old 02-02-2006, 09:55 AM

Seth ,
>> run the original vocal out to a bus and set the new tracks (AT) input to the same bus
>> I dont fully understand buses yet...
It looks as you are already using it !
Don't forget your ears...they are the most useful instruments in music production..
keep it up & happy tooling,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring