Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2012, 07:21 AM

Default SoundCloud: How do you use it?

PT lets us upload to SoundCloud. I've only read about ScoundCloud. But I'd like to see how you find it useful?

Can it be used for someone to sell original music? To promote it maybe? Is it best used to exchange ideas?
Old 11-23-2012, 01:12 PM

Default Re: SoundCloud: How do you use it?

It's just a place for artist to upload their music and listeners to listen to and comment on it. A listener can comment anywhere on a track and that comment will pop up on the track wavelength as it's playing. You can use the uploaded track's URL and post it on various websites, including Facebook. The difference between posting a SoundCloud link and a regular mp3 link on Facebook is the SoundCloud link will turn into a player that anyone who sees the status can press to play the song. Linking directly to an mp3 will just link to it and won't play the song right there on the site.

I've only just started using it for the Facebook in-status play feature (we used to be able to do it with my website but Facebook disabled it for everyone that isn't a partner, like SoundCloud) but it's pretty cool if you don't have your own website I guess. https://soundcloud.com/xennightz
Avid Artist Transport | Genelec 8351b Monitors | Genelec 7360A Subwoofer x2 | Slate Digital VMS Virtual Microphone
Old 11-23-2012, 04:01 PM

One thing I like about sound cloud is the ability to download full WAV files. I can share a song in public or private (inviting whom I want to hear it provided they have a sound cloud account) and they can stream it or download the actual WAV , full quality. And it's nice to do it all inside PT. It's one less step.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
One thing I like about sound cloud is the ability to download full WAV files. I can share a song in public or private (inviting whom I want to hear it provided they have a sound cloud account) and they can stream it or download the actual WAV , full quality. And it's nice to do it all inside PT. It's one less step.
Good point! Never thought about that. I have my own servers but that's a good use I never thought about.
Avid Artist Transport | Genelec 8351b Monitors | Genelec 7360A Subwoofer x2 | Slate Digital VMS Virtual Microphone
Old 11-26-2012, 02:31 PM

What about copyright issues? If I upload a song anywhere, including Soundcloud, do I need to protect if first somehow?
Old 11-26-2012, 02:37 PM

Soundcloud is great due to the no size restrictions... so I can upload full resolution .WAV files!!!! without having to pay to have a full priveledge account like many other music sites...

You cannot (it will not let you) upload copyright material however by uploading... a good page to look at a quick reference to soundcloud and legal info:
http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/...cs/39593-legal

This being the crucial part of what your wanting to know:

"After uploading a track or set, you can select under which license you would like to release your piece of audio on SoundCloud. You can later change the license via the track settings (click the pen icon above the waveform) at any time."
Old 11-26-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
Be careful Soundcloud only streams MP3! But yes you can DOWNLOAD the full resolution!
Old 11-26-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavriil1 View Post
What about copyright issues? If I upload a song anywhere, including Soundcloud, do I need to protect if first somehow?
Most of the agreements for upload sites I've seen basically mean you are giving the content away.

Almost impossible to enforce your own copyrights anyway.

If you are worried about songs being stolen (versus a performance) I would get them published somewhere, even if it's your own website.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:32 PM

I really dont worry about that, they do give you options for creative common license (you can choose from a selection) and you can choose to let people download the track or not, so unless they want to record the streaming MP3 you are in charge of the material, how it can be listened to, and even who you choose to share it with...

This isnt Facebook! lol
Old 11-26-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthurley View Post
Be careful Soundcloud only streams MP3! But yes you can DOWNLOAD the full resolution!
I know, I give the disclaimer first. But quality of the streaming is pretty good today. Compared to years past. I don't hear the difference between soundcloud and iTunes on my phone. So I use it as a basis for mixes. If the mix works, then download the original. If not the we go again :)