Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2009, 10:24 PM

Default Control 24 speaker noise problem

Hi, I've just acquired a Control 24 from a friend and have a few issues i was hoping you guys can help me with.
First of all this is a control 24, not a c24. The first thing is my main speaker output seems to make a loud pop noise when i shut down the board, also it seems at times that my speakers are dropping to a lower volume randomly and the only way to remedy this is to turn the main speaker knob all the way up, then it seems that the speaker are at the volume they should be, then i can turn it down and with the speakers giving an accurate volume. i've seen an old post of cleaning the boards speaker contacts, but couldn't find any directions on how to do this.
the second issue is that my talk back switch intermittently goes out. The light doesn't work and i have to keep pushing the button to make it work, but somedays it would work just fine.
The last thing is some of my faders wouldn't go all the way down when shutting down the board.
sorry for all the questions and lengthy post, but i already had two tweeters blow out on my ex66 monitors because of this and im worried it could cause more potential problems.
i'm pretty technical and would prefer to try to fix it myself before i head to a repair shop.

Thank you all so much in advance for any help and suggestions that you might have.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Control 24 speaker noise problem

wow, so i guess no one has any kind of information, really guys any input will help.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:05 PM

Well, sounds like it needs a good cleaning, and the Power supplies on those boards Famously are bad, and cause all kinds of random problems (I went through 2)

As for the Popping when you power the board on or off... it will ALWAYS do that - I always left the console on, and powered down the Speakers and Amps when I left the building in case of power outage.

One particular studio in Nashville I work out of, had the Pwr supply on the ctrl24 "Go" overnight. When the studio owner came in, in the morning, the board was powering on and off, blasting the speakers with that "popping" and had completely blown his near fields.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 12-25-2009, 08:30 PM

Ok, so i was informed that there are specific instructions on how to clean it, especially the main outputs, i was hoping someone had the instructions or at least some info on how to do it.
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:09 AM

I have a Control 24 and you are right about the switch on/off thunp in the monitors.
I got around this by using a Furman power sequencer which switches my monitors on last and off first. But I'm lazy and it could be done manually.
I do have some service info which I found on the net but this doesn't mention cleaning the audio board.
I replaced mine as I was disgusted with the noise floor on the audio board.
Changing the board improved matters but Its still not great.
Unless you really want to use the monitor section, I'd go for a presonus, or a mackie big knob....
Cheers

Lizardpoint