Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-12-2002, 04:03 PM

Default New G4\'s noise. Time for Apple to realize what we need!

I suggest we all go and sign this petition:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

6am eternal
Old 11-13-2002, 04:28 AM

Default Re: New G4\'s noise. Time for Apple to realize what we need!

Good call David.

I tried highlighting this problem a couple of weeks ago, but noone seemed to care/reply on this board!
I've added my name to the list....

Andrew
Old 11-13-2002, 11:13 AM

I have been reading about this noise issue but figured you might just be purists about your background noise levels. I've been a PC user the last 10 years. My new Mirrored dual 1Gig just showed up. Wow!. I've got amps that don't get that loud. My dog barks at it. So, I'm assuming I've got the same noise levels as the rest of you and mine isn't "broken" and its time to build an iso box for it?

The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad S. Dali
Old 11-15-2002, 02:00 PM

OK guys, come on and sign up. It'll be too late once the new G4 come out in January with the exact same noise issues!

6am eternal
Old 11-15-2002, 02:18 PM

new G4's in January? that's quite an imagination you've got there david.

I can't argue with you on the state of the current ones though, I got rid of my MDD and got a refurb quicksilver instead. If the fan noise were the only problem, I could deal, but there's all kinds of problems with this iteration of powermacs. Online petitions don't mean squat though, Apple will never pay attention to forum rants. If you want to be heard, call applecare and get a case number assigned to your problem - if enough people are demanding repairs on this issue, then they're more likely to do something about it in the future since they don't want to waste employee time and resources on repairs that shouldn't be necessary.

slim
Old 11-15-2002, 04:24 PM

Quote:
new G4's in January? that's quite an imagination you've got there david.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I just said that like that. Since we have Mac World....just a guess. Wether it's in January or in February, that doesn't make much of a difference though.

I'm not sure if Apple won't pay attention to the numerous threads about problems in the MDD forum at apple, which is where this petition is.

Just like Digi would end up caring if we all post a thread about a specific problem with a new problem right here under their nose.

I hope they will care!

6am eternal
Old 11-15-2002, 10:02 PM

Yeah, I hope so too.
Old 11-16-2002, 07:02 AM

Actually Slim Shady's right. I used to work at a prepress hardware company and the only thing that really matters in a product change cycle (R&D-speak for bug fix) is a long list of logged service calls.

For better or worse, the internet and on-line petitions represent hearsay. It's too easy to manipulate these types of forums. We might have noted the petition, but nothing speaks louder than customers logging a specific product complaint.

If the noise in your Mac is unacceptable - log a service call.

K
Old 11-16-2002, 07:17 AM

I originally thought the large fan was intentionally big so it could spin slower and move the same amount of air as a smaller but faster/noisier fan. It seems that from previous models that it's a pointless feature and they should have just stuck to the same cooling arrangement as the QS models.

Surely even a fully loaded G4 with 4 PCI cards, 4 hard drives, 2 optical drives and RAM in every slot wouldn't need to dispense the kind of heat that would need such over the top cooling. I also beleive the 2 fans on the powersupply are of a cheap and very noisy type that could have been replaced with more efficient versions that don't make as much noise.

I'm in no position to buy a new mac or even a used one right now but I know I'd rather have a used 533Mhz, 800Mhz or 1Ghz dual G4 than one of the new DDR models just for the quieter operation and lack of compatability issues.

Apple have made a very large and very public mistake with the whole design of the new powermacs and it wouldn't surprise me if they're no more than a stop gap to something that genuinely needs that level of cooling. I just hope they do something about it in future models because I'm going to be staying beige for a while yet and I'd hate to have to buy a QS G4 and then have something with that IBM PPC chip come out soon after.
Old 11-16-2002, 11:51 AM

It's been speculated that the reason for the "windtunnel" macs (starting with the last QS which are also loud by standards)...is that moto is simply overclocking the last basic design G4's to achieve higher clock rates.

More heat....more cooling needed.

the 2nd compounding issue with the current macs noise wise..might also be because of the MB issue and a firmware issue..as related to OS 9.

The fans in the new G4s are supposed to be multispeed. For some reason..under OS 9..they are stuck on high speed all the time.

If you boot under OS X...you'll notice the fan speed lowers and the sound it generates is less.

And yes, apple needs to start spending time in a sound lab as Dell does to make their machines quieter.

I have much more from the rumor mill if anyone is interested...

New AMD prototypes (under project codenamed : starwars) have been devlivered to key persons in the field for software testing.
These are clawhammers 64bit and are in a sealed (welded shut) none descript box...with no user access to internals.

Emapple is planning a coming major update to the EXS24 ..that according to rumor...has modwheel crossfading between multi samples and updated filters..etc.

a PDF from moto obtained apprently off their public doc site...shows the timeline for the G4 for the next year..and the G5 is no where on it.
Mostly..it's overclocked revisions of the current design.

Along with that, Moto is aggressively seeking a buyer for it's overseas cpu related core business.

All that leads to one thing...that it seems definite that apple will be moving to another cpu sometime next year (IBM) and that what we are seeing is the death spiral rollout of nothing more than clocked current deisgn G4's from Moto...in an exit strategy designed to simply mark time until the new cpus can be put into the supply line.

Finally on the humorous side: Supposedly...SJobs was so infuriated with Motorolas continued excuses and missed deadlines...etc...and lack of results...he actually took off his shoe at a meeting and threw it at one of the moto reps.

Another rumor was...that in the initial meeting with the emagic folks....when SJobs was to sit down for a demonstration...when they demonstrated the user interface for Logic...SJobs got up and walked out...while impressed with the tehcnology behind it...he was shall we say...way less than impressed by the UI referring to it in certain "excrement" terms.

Some people take this to mean..that a complete UI overhaul is slated for Logic in an upcoming major point release.

Rumor/OFF.