Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 01-07-2022, 08:28 AM

Default Eleven Rack MIDI Engine error

Hi

I just installed the eleven rack latest drivers for Catalina, and it does show up in pt 2021, I installed the Eleven rack editor, but when I open the editor I get this error message (Error Initializing Eleven Rack MIDI Engine.
My current eleven rack Firmware Version is 2.0.1
I have been using Eleven rack in PTHD10, I just updated to PT 2021 Ultimate recently.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks, Tony

Last edited by tonyw7; 01-10-2022 at 03:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-07-2022, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Avid Eleven rack updater issue

As per compatibility page, your system configuration should be supported (assuming you are using 2021.3 which the page specifies). So why not contact Avid Support and create a support case?
Old 01-07-2022, 09:10 AM

So the Eleven Rack works fine in Pro Tools. but you get a "Error Initializing MIDI Engine" when starting up the editor. When you get a clear error message like this Google it, asking questions here is just wasting your time. You would have trivially found: "https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/error_message/Error-Initializing-MIDI-Engine-when-launching-Eleven-Rack-Editor"

But now some DUC value add: Actually the compatibility table gives no commitment about the compatibility of the Eleven Rack editor. Which is basically abandonware. It was released way back whenever and never updated, and officially supported Mac OS X 10.8-10.8.5 and 10.9-10.9.1 at time of release and claims for what is officially been supported has never been updated AFAIK. It can run on latest macOS versions but sure can have issues, including horrible UI performance and glitches (e.g. not redrawing parts of the UI) that can make it unusable. This was one way over-bloated overly-complex piece of software that includes a lot of dependencies (including iLok software) that greatly complicates compatibility. So maybe start with an expectation you might be lucky and get the Editor to work, and if not be prepared to abandon it. You can do everything from the front panel, and if needed manually write down rig settings.

And if that KB article does not help you I expect it's a waste of time to contact support with this.

This thread is titled "Updater" I assume that's just a typo for "Editor", esp. since you are on firmware 2.01 and not trying to use the Eleven Rack expansion pack updater as well.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:29 AM

Thanks for your help, I think Avid dropped the ball on this one., I did start a case on it.
I also tried that link you sent about a possible fix,, didn't work.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Avid Eleven rack editor issue

Avid did not drop the ball. They threw it far away. The core of the Eleven Rack product team left the company long ago, likely pushed out. That we got the last updated drivers was a nice surprise, but the driver updates likely have little to do with anything in the Eleven Rack and can be done by others.

By all means see what support does, but I wanted you to not get hopes up too much here.

All else I'd try is trash the Editor app, empty the trash, reboot the computer and Eleven Rack and reinstall the editor. BTW the Editor has nothing to do with the Eleven Rack driver... it communicates with the Eleven Rack via Class Compliant USB MIDI. You should be able to see the Eleven Rack in Audio MIDI setup MIDI studio. You can make sure no other software is trying to use that MIDI, and I would try a different USB cable and different USB ports on the computer. If going through a USB hub try it directly connected. But with these MIDI things it's much less likely to be the USB cable than with audio interface issues.
Old 01-07-2022, 11:29 AM

Thanks

I will try that later, I didn't see the Eleven rack in the audio/midi setup, so that's where the problem probably is.
Old 01-10-2022, 02:32 PM

Avid Tech support got back to me with a fix, I thought I would share it.
It worked for me.
1. Uninstall Eleven Rack driver.(via the driver dmg, it will have an uninstall option) 2. Restart computer. 3. Connect/turn on Eleven rack, Launch Eleven Rack Editor. (Now it launches) Then install Eleven Rack driver. It worked like a charm!!

Last edited by tonyw7; 01-11-2022 at 11:31 AM.