Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2003, 05:37 AM

Default Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Curtiz:
Xavier,
Just listened to your track, and liked it a lot. Can I try and sing something over it ?
(I hear something à la Tears for Fears...)
I won't promise anything in the deadline dept. 'cause I've got a big week coming up at the studio, but I'd love to give it a shot.
I can write a melody and lyrics if you want me to, or I can just sing whatever you already have.
I might have to twist and turn things around a bit, but it could be good fun.
Are you game ?

PS : You can hear my voice on some tracks on my website (see below), under "audio".

Cheers,
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm game! I'm flattered that you would partake in the songwriting process with me! Only thing is I couldn't get to listen to your tracks on your site..I have DSL but the download would not go through. Can you email me something in MP3 format?
I don't have any lyrics, I wanted to leave that up to the singer we finally got but I did have a rough idea for a melody to the chorus. Kind of ironic that we were goind to audition a singer yesterday and he flaked out, then I read your post [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] . Soooo, how do we go about doing this anyway??? I've never done this before [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Stoked,

X
Old 03-10-2003, 06:06 AM

Xavier,
Have you tried "right-click/save as" on my site ?
I seems to work that way.
Anyway, what I would suggest is that I could just try something based on your mp3 (which I've already downloaded), post it or send it to you, and if you like it I can send you the vocal track(s), if you don't, just tell me. I'm beyond ego bruising.
If you like parts of it but would like something specific at some point, you can play that specific melody part on the guitar and post it, I'll download it and sing that part for you.
As I said, the fun part is that I might twist and turn your song inside out. You might get nervous at the thought... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] , but sometimes it's good to know how others perceive your music (what is the verse, chorus, etc...).
I'll come up with something, and you just tell me.
Deal ?
Old 03-10-2003, 06:12 AM

Deal! And like you requested, I won't press you for time...I'm sure you are as busy as I am. Thanks and I can't wait to hear it!

X
Old 03-10-2003, 06:20 PM

Paul,

One word...WOW. For a "rough" take it sounds pretty amazing. You have a very powerful voice AND sing with a lot of passion...and I can definitely hear a little Tears for Fears influence [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] . I'll tell you that my favorite part is the chorus, especially when you hold the C note when the guitars are hitting an E. Oh, and the changes to the structure are actually pretty close to what I wanted to do with the song! I was thinking of just using the solo part as the bridge and then have it lead into the end chorus...which is exactly what you did. So that's two favors I owe you now my friend. The melody I had in my head for the chorus isn't close to what you came up with at all either, which is really cool because like you said it gives you someone else's take on what they are hearing. I really appreciate that you have shown me that.

Whenever we do find a singer I hope you don't mind if we "borrow" some of your really good ideas for this song...I'm really trying hard to set something up with some good local musicians who just want to write and play good music. Ever coming down to Miami [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ? Paul, you have my complete gratitude...thank you for sharing your creativeness with me and the DUC!

Xavier

P.S. I expect a final cut by 0900 hours tomorrow morning...J/K
Old 03-10-2003, 11:33 PM

Hi Xavier,
Glad you liked it, I had fun doing it !
I will do a "proper" take (without the bum notes...they're willing to bear...in the second chorus...aaaargh ! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )
Feel free to use it for whatever purpose you want.

I'll be doing that by the end of the week and post separate lead vocal and backing vox tracks. In the meantime, any lyrics suggestions ?

One (constructive) little thing, there are quite a few moment in the song where guitars, drums and bass aren't hitting the beat together, and it makes for a bit of sloppiness. You could probably fix some of that in PT, I think your song would hugely gain from it.

I'll get back to you by the week-end.

Cheers
Old 03-11-2003, 12:12 AM

Hi Xavier,
I'm posting a first rough try right now.
I did this very quick, pretty generic lyrics ('bout the state of the world...) and I had to do a rough mix on the phones (daughter's bed time [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ), so there are some notes a little out here and there...
As you might have feared, I changed the structure a little [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] , but nothing drastic.
Anyway, it's just to give you a sense of what I'm hearing, tell me how you feel about it.
Fab chords, mate !
You'll find it here (bottom left of the page).
http://twanglab.netstudio.be/audio.htm
Cheers,
Old 03-11-2003, 09:58 AM

this is one of my bands latest songs:

Just Like You

i did it using my friends digi oo1 system and carillon computer. i was trying out pro tools before i buy me a digi 002!

let me know what you think. check out my website for more info and songs from my band.
Old 03-13-2003, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roy Howell:
Just got to listen to a few...

metaltim-
Man, I really like this theme. It's my favorite of all the things you've posted(I'm into instrumentals anyway). I think you're wise to 'space' those fine drums with a little verb like you've done... I don't think they need to be dry for this. The irregular timing of the piece is part of what makes it cool to me. Even the title works for me. Good job, Tim... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">WOW thanks, you almost gave me goosebumps when i read your post. I mean, you know it's a true comment when someone goes out there way to not only listen, but on top of that, comment on it. and the fact that I'm not there in front of you when you listen, which kind of puts you on the spot, even another thing that makes a true compliment.

I almost think it could be my fav also, I've listened to it so many times, I almost don't want to ruin it with vocals!!

im am right now though, ill repost when im through

Tim
Old 03-14-2003, 01:31 PM

These are two songs that we getting ready to re-track, but I want to get some input from you guys on what you think would help bring these to the 'next' level.

In Need of You

Alright

Thanks in Advance
Old 03-14-2003, 04:59 PM

Ok if anyone is still interested, I put vocals on my latest song, away.

get it here.

the lyrics are there too, cause it is a bit tough to understand, but until i get a mic that suits my voice, then my voice will just be kinda mumbly, cause otherwise i have to crank so much eq on it that it starts to sound fake.