Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 04-15-2021, 02:18 AM

Default Dark Theme file tweaks

Hi Mods,

Could you make a sticky post and people can post their dark mode text file tweaks in it. And maybe the top level post could be updated with links to all the files. (I say "all" - there may be only two or three out there at the moment but it may inspire people to tweak further)

Searching for them on random pages of other threads is a little tricky and having them all in one place might make it easier for people to try a few options and choose what works for them.

Maybe a quick "how to" at the top of the post too.

For the record - I had a minor mod working where the clips were "classic" and everything else was dark mode. I persevered with it for a couple of months but I'm back to classic now. But I'm sure there's a tweak that would work for me.

Thanks
Old 04-15-2021, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Dark mode forum thread request

This was attempted before and it didn't get much traction. And since the latest release, and Avid's dark mode tweaks, people are far more content. I've abandoned my customized text file because there's no longer anything about Avid's that I don't like. They've done a solid job with it, though part of that is me having grown accustomed to it. Someone entirely new to DM may still have a slight adjustment to make.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonchase View Post
Hi Mods,

Could you make a sticky post and people can post their dark mode text file tweaks in it. And maybe the top level post could be updated with links to all the files. (I say "all" - there may be only two or three out there at the moment but it may inspire people to tweak further)

Searching for them on random pages of other threads is a little tricky and having them all in one place might make it easier for people to try a few options and choose what works for them.

Maybe a quick "how to" at the top of the post too.

For the record - I had a minor mod working where the clips were "classic" and everything else was dark mode. I persevered with it for a couple of months but I'm back to classic now. But I'm sure there's a tweak that would work for me.

Thanks
This was attempted and the thread got deleted. Why - I don't know. I'm one of the major players in the dark mode tweak game. If you want to see what my modded file looks like look at post 480 by K Roche where he posts a couple of screenshots of the modded file: https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=412759&page=48
If you want the file drop me an email with your regular email address and I'll send it to you.

QAPLA!
Old 06-24-2021, 08:58 AM

With 2021.6, we will get the ability to customize the color setting!

Improvements To And Customisation Of UI
The Dark User Interface (UI) Theme was introduced with the release of Pro Tools 2020.11. An inconvenience associated with this was the fact that it was necessary to restart Pro Tools to toggle between Dark and Classic Themes. With the release of 2021.6, it is now possible to switch between UI Themes dynamically. Change the theme in Preferences and the UI will now update without a restart.

However, with Pro Tools 2021.6, the UI customisation now goes much further. For a long time, it has been possible to adjust the colour and saturation of various elements of the UI such as tracks and clips. UI customisation has been further extended to enable the customisation of the colour, brightness, contrast, colour and saturation of almost everything. Using the updated, and greatly extended colour palette, it is now possible to set up and store custom UI presets between Classic and Dark Themes

UI Theme Customization Parameters
General

Text Brightness
Background Brightness
Tracks

Track Header Brightness
Track Header Saturation
Edit Selection
Timeline Brightness
Inactive Track Brightness
Inactive Track Saturation
Clips

Waveform Brightness
Background Brightness
Grids

Brightness (Grid Mode)
Brightness (non-Grid Mode)
Automation View

Waveform Brightness
Waveform Saturation
Line Brightness
Line Saturation
Background Brightness
Analysis/Warp View

Waveform Brightness
Waveform Saturation
Analysis Marker Brightness
Analysis Marker Saturation
Background Brightness

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 06-24-2021, 09:44 AM

Check out this video which shows the new UI customization in 2021.6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
This was attempted and the thread got deleted...
Perhaps you are referring to this thread? If not we can search further - it should not have been deleted (provided that it followed the Terms Of Use).
Old 06-24-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Check out this video which shows the new UI customization in 2021.6.
Perhaps you are referring to this thread? If not we can search further - it should not have been deleted (provided that it followed the Terms Of Use).
It was not the megathread you link to. It was a separate much shorter thread that maybe got 3 or 4 pages long (if that) before it got deleted.

edit for additional:
Watched the video and while it's neat one can do certain things there's a whole bunch missing as regards title bar colors, disabled plugins being more obvious (I made them red) and text edits around the meters making them sharper than the mushy representation Avid gives us. See the screenshots that I and Kevin Roche posted in that aforementioned megathread. As to whether I'll update to 2021.6 that depends on whether I can still get in and make the edits needed.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 06-24-2021 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:55 PM

PLEASE ask then devs to allow us to change the background of the MIDI Editor separately from the Main Edit Window. I like my Main Edit Background a little more on the Dark Side, but past a certain point, it inverts the BlackNote-WhiteNote shading in the MIDI Editor, which is a real mental mind****.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 06-25-2021, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
PLEASE ask then devs to allow us to change the background of the MIDI Editor separately from the Main Edit Window. I like my Main Edit Background a little more on the Dark Side, but past a certain point, it inverts the BlackNote-WhiteNote shading in the MIDI Editor, which is a real mental mind****.
As for the MIDI editor thing I made a change in the color file to flip that business to what ti logically should be. If you want I can sebd you the modded file I;m using that has a whole bunch of other color changes. I just need a regular email address to do the deed. Look in this mega thread to see my changes (post 480 by Kev Roche put up screenshots): https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=412759&page=48

QAPLA!
Old 08-09-2021, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Dark Theme file tweaks

I like most of what they have done with Dark Mode. But there is one thing that really bugs me. Perhaps there is a preference or setting somewhere that will eliminate my beef. I looked around but couldn't find anything.

On the mix and edit windows the part of the scroll bar that you grab to move around a session is dark grey. That's OK with me except that the background of the scroll bar is a slightly darker grey. So I'm always struggling to find the part of the scroll bar to be dragged around a session. It this just me? Or are other people struggling with this. I've attached a screen shot to show what I'm talking about. I really wish they would add some contrast to these 2 colors.

Thanks
Fuzzyc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scroll bars in Pro Tools.jpg (22.5 KB, 0 views)
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900KF CPU @ 3.60GHz
Memory: 32GB
Internal Hard Drives:
500GB= Programs
1TBGB= Audio
1tbGB= Samples/Back Up
External Hard Drives: Verbatim 1TB USB Drive
RME Fireface UFX Interface/Preamps
Pro Tools 2023
Focal CMS 65 Monitors
Avantones
Old 10-29-2021, 09:42 PM

Default Re: Dark Theme file tweaks

I have the same issue. It appears that avid can customize their parts but that the colors have no effect on the scroll bars which is possibly part of the OS. It’s enough of an issue that I may have to go back to light mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk