Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2023, 02:17 PM

Default Playback is skipping over certain times, but the recording is fine

This is easily the weirdest problem I've ever had with Pro Tools and it is really boggling my mind. I will be playing back a recording and Pro Tools will skip over an entire second of playback. To check if there is something wrong with the waveform, I make a cut where the playback stops and slide the waveform over to where the playback resumes and it plays perfectly. I don't understand what the issue is. I've restarted the computer, made a new session, re-recorded that audio, and I always have the issue now. Every session I make. Anybody have any clue what's going on?
Old 04-19-2023, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Playback is skipping over certain times, but the recording is fine

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050
Old 04-19-2023, 09:11 PM

Weird indeed. I can't think of anything that would do this.... except (big) maybe if it's a plugin screwing with you like it's not licensed/eval period has expired etc. But then this would be such a tricky thing to do/weird way of messing with the audio... but still do you have any plugins common to those sessions/tracks?

You are testing starting with absolutely clean new sessions, not from a template? not copies of sessions?

Can you measure this "skip" exactly, how many samples/time etc. Measure *exactly*... that might give some clue. Does changing sample rate of the session change anything?

Is the track sample or tick based? Try sample if it was tick.
Old 04-19-2023, 09:55 PM

I’m thinking along the same lines as Darryl here and suspecting a plugin in demo mode that’s inserting silence.

So, to clarify, when you say skipping, do you see the play head actually jump in time or is it moving as expected and the audio just mutes? If the latter, do you have plugins instantiated and if so, does removing them rectify the issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2023, 10:38 AM

Wow... I'm such an idiot. So, these sessions have been from a template and the track has three plugins on it. I don't now why, but I've been using a demo de-esser on the track without realizing it. I set it and then I forgot it. Sorry for wasting your time, folks, and thank you very much for your help. I don't know that I would have ever noticed that I wasn't using my usual de-esser.