Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 11-04-2021, 08:00 AM

Default Do u guys turn off the icons ever?

Can I just leave my d control on 24x7?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2021, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Do u guys turn off the icons ever?

We left our D-Command and D-Controls on all the time. They are now gone (we've moved to S6 for the big studios.)

However, in hindsight, I would probably not leave the D-Command and D-Control on. They have a multitude of power supplies (doing this from memory but 3 in the D-Command main unit and 1 in the extra fader pack. A similar count in the D-Control.) Ours ended up lasting longer than most (according to Avid techs they usually lasted a max of 5 years -- we got like 8-10 years) but they eventually need to get replaced (technically rebuilt -- have to replace some capacitors that expand eventually) and it is kind of a PITA.

Probably could have extended the life even further if we had switched them off more often. The other thing is when the ICONS are powered, the faders (touch-sensitive) have more of a chance of getting damaged. We had to replace a few fader banks over time because of stray/static electricity zapping those faders. At some point, Avid switched to a different fader version that were more resistant from that kind of damage. So you might have the better faders depending on what version you have (none of the original "blue" Icons had the good faders but if fader banks were switched for repair, they might have ended up getting the good faders as a hardware replacement)
Old 11-04-2021, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
We left our D-Command and D-Controls on all the time. They are now gone (we've moved to S6 for the big studios.)

However, in hindsight, I would probably not leave the D-Command and D-Control on. They have a multitude of power supplies (doing this from memory but 3 in the D-Command main unit and 1 in the extra fader pack. A similar count in the D-Control.) Ours ended up lasting longer than most (according to Avid techs they usually lasted a max of 5 years -- we got like 8-10 years) but they eventually need to get replaced (technically rebuilt -- have to replace some capacitors that expand eventually) and it is kind of a PITA.

Probably could have extended the life even further if we had switched them off more often. The other thing is when the ICONS are powered, the faders (touch-sensitive) have more of a chance of getting damaged. We had to replace a few fader banks over time because of stray/static electricity zapping those faders. At some point, Avid switched to a different fader version that were more resistant from that kind of damage. So you might have the better faders depending on what version you have (none of the original "blue" Icons had the good faders but if fader banks were switched for repair, they might have ended up getting the good faders as a hardware replacement)
Thanks for the insight. I'm gonna keep turning off.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2021, 03:33 AM

My D-Command gets turned off every night.
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.3, PT2023.12.1, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.3, PT2033.12.1, BabyFacePro FS
Old 12-02-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Russell View Post
My D-Command gets turned off every night.
same here ,I use to keep it on and got power supply problems when repowering after a studio updating/cleaning