Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2017, 02:30 PM

Default Pro Tools | HD Annual Upgrade and Support Plan Reinstatement

Wow. I JUST realized how the subscription plan screws you. This of course, is when I want to upgrade to 12.6.1 HD from 12.6 when I notice how messed up the MIDI latency is. AND I'm late to renew. You forget to renew within 30 days and they want another grand in addition to the tens of thousands of dollars they've gotten from me over the past 20 years. I don't mind paying for major software upgrades for Pro Tools, but this is tacit extortion. If you've been customer for 20 years, I think they should really let you re subscribe even for the $399. I'm fine with that. but an automatic jump to $999?? Who the hell is coming up with these policies?
Old 01-10-2017, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools | HD Annual Upgrade and Support Plan Reinstatement

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundfx View Post
Wow. I JUST realized how the subscription plan screws you. This of course, is when I want to upgrade to 12.6.1 HD from 12.6 when I notice how messed up the MIDI latency is. AND I'm late to renew. You forget to renew within 30 days and they want another grand in addition to the tens of thousands of dollars they've gotten from me over the past 20 years. I don't mind paying for major software upgrades for Pro Tools, but this is tacit extortion. If you've been customer for 20 years, I think they should really let you re subscribe even for the $399. I'm fine with that. but an automatic jump to $999?? Who the hell is coming up with these policies?
You definitely are late to connecting the dots, that being said, you seem to have a good grasp of it.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 01-10-2017, 04:04 PM

I hate to give them ideas, since I agree their particular subscription paradigm is 🐂💩, but they should have an option to automatically renew/charge your card.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
I hate to give them ideas, since I agree their particular subscription paradigm is 🐂💩, but they should have an option to automatically renew/charge your card.
I actually agree. Or perhaps some kind of reliable reminder? I have enough dates to remember in my life aside from when my annual Pro Tools Extortion Date is looming.

Instead of paying, I've just gone back to 12.5.2 HD, since it is stable and will just wait it out until something amazing happens. I don't completely loathe the $399, but forcing you to re-up at 1K is just insulting. And while I'm ranting, I had the severe displeasure of trying to navigate the Avid website yesterday and nearly threw my keyboard on the floor in a rage. In this day and age, there is no excuse for a website so byzantine and unnavigable. Unless its designed by and for Microsoft, of course. Rant Over.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:12 PM

Hey AVID
see you at Namm
and.....
why dont we
Break the HD plan into 2 tiers
support and non
JUST LIKE NONHD
and
give some window of amnesty [NAMM-nesty?] for permement lic that are still at 11 etc

that way
you would bring more people up to 12 and have less hassle of the older systems troubleshooting
Bad idea?

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]
Old 01-11-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
And yet you're prepared to hand over any money to a company with such policies. Consumers like you are part and parcel of the problem.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 01-12-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
And yet you're prepared to hand over any money to a company with such policies. Consumers like you are part and parcel of the problem.
Pro Tools, the SOFTWARE is great. The thousands of projects I've done over the years are all on Pro Tools and I have to recall them frequently. That's not to mention the interacting that I do with other studios constantly, which is all PT based. I have to get things done and get projects on the air every day and my facility and happiness with Pro Tools itself outweighs money quibbling with Avid.

Yet I am quite justified in airing my protest of their ridiculous policies. And thus, I don't have the luxury of switching to some non industry standard platform like you might be able to do.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:35 AM

This used to be why it was called "Pro" tools. You should reach out to one of the moderators to see if you can get back into the plan. Jeffro was a life saver for me. You are a long time Pro user and Avid sees the value in your business support.

Steve
Old 01-12-2017, 10:49 AM

The whole thing is annoying more than the cost imo. It's just a business expense but annoying nontheless. It used to be every protools upgrade say from 4 to 5 was solid. Minimal bugs. But now it is not even safe to upgrade. I stayed on 10hd till 4 months ago because I cannot afford downtime. I needed 64bit for my VI'S and that's my only reason I switched. I'm much happier now but I'll be on 12.6 1 for a few years at a minimum.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Soundfx, when leaving the subscription plan you are eligible to receive the latest version released on the date the plan expired. You've probably already checked, but is there a chance that 12.6.1 was released before your plan expired? Sorry you got caught with the newly released broken version before the fix was applied. Avid's policy on this is completely unfair.

ASUS Sabertooth, Intel i7 3820 3.6Ghz
32 GB 1600Mhz Corsair RAM
SSD 500GB Samsung
WIN 10 64bit