Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-07-2009, 03:09 PM

Default 003 Rack Factory Hardware Problem: Monitor Output

Hello everyone,

This afternoon I encountered the first problem I've ever had with my 003 rack in the last 9 months that I've owned it. On Monday I disconnected it from my monitoring system so I could take it and the rack it lives in to a remote session (I do this a couple of times a month). Today I set everything back up in my studio, booted my computer, launched itunes and found only the left monitor output was actually outputting.

I double checked the connections, the cables, and monitors and everything is in order. I rebooted everything and then launched Pro Tools (PT8). Bam. Right side still isn't outputing. I unplugged the cables and plugged them into Outputs 1-2 in the rack and they worked fine. I also plugged them into the ALT CR and enabled that and they work fine. Now I know I could just use the ALT CR from now on but I'd really like to have a fault free rack, so if anyone knows why the rack would all of a sudden stop outputing on the right monitor output I would love to know the fix.

Here's a few specs for you:
MacBook Pro 2.33ghz core 2 duo.
4 gigs ram

003 rack factory (approx 9 months old)
Brand new monster cables (balanced 1/4 to xlr)

I'm a certified operator and I've hooked up my fare share of TDM, LE, and M-Powered systems over the last few years so I've trouble shooted as much as I could to my ability.

Has anyone had any issues with the firmware update that came with PT8 and their 003's? I know it's not a software thing because PT's, iTunes, FCP, Reason, and QT (all of which work fine with the 003) all do the same thing. Maybe I'm just unlucky and my Rack is broken. :/

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Adam Voreis
Old 01-07-2009, 05:47 PM

Default Re: 003 Rack Factory Hardware Problem: Monitor Output

Since your 003 is so new, I would get right after Digi with this. It really does sound like hardware to me..

I guess you could take the cover off and see if it is something obvious, especially since it happened after a little field trip.. I'm not sure if opening it up voids any warranties or anything like that, (and if it does, DON'T) so I would still check with Digi first. YMMV
Old 01-07-2009, 05:58 PM

Is it possible that the cables got stepped on while you were working your remote? If that happened, it could have broken the jack causing this kind of problem.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-08-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
Since your 003 is so new, I would get right after Digi with this. It really does sound like hardware to me..

I guess you could take the cover off and see if it is something obvious, especially since it happened after a little field trip.. I'm not sure if opening it up voids any warranties or anything like that, (and if it does, DON'T) so I would still check with Digi first. YMMV
Yeah, that's my plan about now. The rack is in a shock mounted anvil case and I didn't use the monitor outs on location, so I think it was something I did to it... but who knows, gear can be a pain in the ass sometimes.

I plan on calling my dealer and digi today. I just hate to send it away because I don't have any other hardware at the moment. When I ran 7.4 I had LE and M-Powered both installed at the same time but I haven't upgraded M-powered yet because I wasn't sure if I could install both yet (because of PT8). Maybe I'll just do it anyway so at least I have something while I'm down my rack.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Is it possible that the cables got stepped on while you were working your remote? If that happened, it could have broken the jack causing this kind of problem.
Well, I thought that too but I checked the cables and tried another set. The rack actually still works. I'm currently dubbing an old cassette right now as I type this but I'm monitoring out of the ALT CR on the rack. I just hate to leave it broken because who knows how long it will be until something else breaks.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:42 AM

Hmmm. This sounds familiar. Except I was not gettig audio from either the right or left channel. After a lot of time wasted, I found that I had to turn all of the buttons on the right hand side of the rack off. I am sorry, I cannot tell you which ones because I am at work and dont have one in front of me. But check the status of the buttons on the right hand side of the rack in the monitoring section I think, make sure they are set to off and try it.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:38 PM

Huh.. I was just trying to troubleshoot the exact same problem for a friend's 003 Rack.. had the same problem. Sound outputted correctly while using Pro Tools, however, it would only come out one side of the 003 while using iTunes, though it WOULD come out both sides (albeit in mono) when I pushed in the mono button. I also tried using the alt control room speaker outputs, and experienced the same issue. If anyone has any ideas on this one, I'd love to hear 'em too.