Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2021, 03:35 PM

Default Recording vocals?

I’ve been messing in the studio the past couple of days with vocal tracking techniques and EQ’ing them and just wondered how and what some of you guys do.

My chain today was WA87=>WA273EQ=>Klark Teknic La2a=>WA76 and then into ProTools

On the 73EQ I pressed the tone button in, it just seemed to add something. Compression wise on the LA2A was about 7db GR and then about 1db on the 76.

I know all vocals are different and things will never be done the same every time . I was just singing to a Bon Jovi backing track and experimenting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 03-23-2021, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Recording vocals?

Hey, Raoul!

Nice recording chain!

On the WA273EQ for vocals, make sure you're utilizing the HPF. Also, some vocals might need more brightness or less brightness so the high shelf is key too. I have no experience with the unit, so not sure about the tone button.

One thing you might want to experiment with is reversing the roles of the 1176 and LA2A. Try putting the 1176 before the LA2A and using the 1176 for your 7db (or more!) of aggressive GR and using the LA2A last in the chain for 1-2dB of gentle GR. I think they shine best when paired this way for rock, but, as always, just go with what sounds best to you!
Old 03-24-2021, 07:35 AM

Good advice from Alex, and here's more opinion; if engaging the EQ(with no boost or cut) adds "something", I'd probably keep it(if it sounds good, it IS good). And I might do a small boost or cut, but nothing more than 1-2db(in case I need to undo it later). But, when it comes to compressors, I'd probably stick with just the WA2A(for the character). My "go to" vocal chain was Miktek CV4>API 312>WA2A and it always gave great results(I would expect no less with any 1073 clone). My thinking is simply to avoid too much compression on the way in. You can always add more at mix(and I did with BF76>SMACK! on every lead vocal), but its really tough to take away "baked in" compression. Adding a tough of "air" with a Pultec or MAAG eq takes it up a notch. I use the Bomb Factory Pultec while tracking due to its zero latency, but often swap to the Waves Puigtech for mix. If you're wondering why the swap, the Bomb Factory Pultec is a little "gritty"(which sometimes is desirable) while the Puigtech is just plain silky.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-24-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
Hey, Raoul!

Nice recording chain!

On the WA273EQ for vocals, make sure you're utilizing the HPF. Also, some vocals might need more brightness or less brightness so the high shelf is key too. I have no experience with the unit, so not sure about the tone button.

One thing you might want to experiment with is reversing the roles of the 1176 and LA2A. Try putting the 1176 before the LA2A and using the 1176 for your 7db (or more!) of aggressive GR and using the LA2A last in the chain for 1-2dB of gentle GR. I think they shine best when paired this way for rock, but, as always, just go with what sounds best to you!

You know we are talking about a ”KT badly done clone of a LA2A” right?

So maybe even better just throwing out that LT and use the other ”klones”

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-24-2021, 11:05 AM

^ what he said. You would be amazed how insane amount of external gear this guy has
Old 03-24-2021, 11:50 AM

I can’t afford a real La2a at the moment so I guess the KlarkTec will have to do

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 03-24-2021, 12:02 PM

Sure. I am sure you undestand that great mic plus great preamp plus zero external processing straight into great AD converter is better than mediocre mic plus mediocre preamp plus mediocre external processing going into mediocre AD converter
Old 03-24-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Sure. I am sure you undestand that great mic plus great preamp plus zero external processing straight into great AD converter is better than mediocre mic plus mediocre preamp plus mediocre external processing going into mediocre AD converter
Hmm, its tough to argue with this^^^, but I will add that the Warm Audio 2A is a solid performer(yes, I did miss the fact of the KT). If in doubt, track both paths(make a quick group) and keep 1 muted(like if you were tracking an electric guitar via amp PLUS a DI feed I often track 2 complete vocal paths this way so I can choose the best after tracking is done

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-24-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post

Yes but sometimes ya gotta use what you can afford!!

Old 03-24-2021, 01:08 PM

Thumbs down Re: Recording vocals?

What we mean is it will sound BETTER without that klark Teknik unit as it doesn’t work anyway close to any better clone ”which is wrong wording” as a clone is 1:1 of something and all the less good emulations or inspired by doesn’t come close on any level so the way the cheap units process the audio and make it worse than without them sometimes.

Definitely not trying to be an a-hole here Brother, just wanna help you get better sound and the less you need to do to audio in the end is the best, if you commit and use the best gear you got available the easier it will be to make great recordings.

Use the WA gear and use a GOOD plugin 2A emulation as anything is better than those KT joke Rip-Offs.

Try the chain with the decent WA-273 and WA76 and toss the KT and see how your sound will improve if you record it correctly.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————