Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2022, 08:16 AM

Default Re: macOS Ventura 13.0 - Anyone tried it (or a beta)?

Final release installed here on m1 and running perfect ( ** with my system **) as Jfreak said please check all your drivers and plugins first before jumping and always make a a backup if your gonna pull the trigger .
Old 10-25-2022, 01:54 PM

Ventura running here fine so far on an Intel MBP. Pro Tools 2022.9 and 2022.10. But not done much yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsDKMkPCOeA

Ventura has less deeper disruptive stuff in it than Monterey and Big Sur so I'm hoping it's not a challenge for Pro Tools or plugins. Yes it does have the new "Settings" instead of "Preferences" and I think it's an improvement.

One improvement here is the unification of startup items. This has been badly missing from macOS for it's whole lifetime and it's frustrating when users think they disabled all login/background items because they had disabled what Preferences was showing them... and ignoring all the other login/startup crap that was not being shown. Well finally they are .

So take a look at Systems Settings>General>Login Items

And maybe turn off any crap you don't need running... (this should be updated in Pro Tools optimization instructions) but *don't* disable the Avid Pro Tools items, that will disable ILM services and Pro Tools won't start.

Oh and strong opinion on Avid Link and Cloud Services... best bet to disable them is Uninstall them
Old 10-25-2022, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Thanks for the link. I’m now literally wetting myself with excitement about all these new OS features. At last they’ve finally renamed “System Preferences” to “System Settings”, something I think we can all agree has been long overdue.
I absolutely loathe the new System Settings page. I've been testing Ventura since its first release and have yet to adjust to the new layout after all that time. They're going after a unified aesthetic which stems from iOS -- I get that -- but I don't consider it a step forward for MacOS. Maybe someday it will just click but that day is not today.
Old 10-25-2022, 09:31 PM

I kind of agree.

But the day when the old way became too cluttered has passed so many years ago, so until I have a better idea I'll take this.
Old 10-25-2022, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I kind of agree.

But the day when the old way became too cluttered has passed so many years ago, so until I have a better idea I'll take this.
I think the new layout is the right idea, I just don't feel that they've quite nailed the execution of that idea. No doubt it will continue to improve.
Old 10-27-2022, 07:18 PM

I have a major problem with Ventura on MacBook Pro 13" M1, Multi Tool does not work well, I think Mac keep changing the cursor to the standard pointer, so it become very dfficult to grab the correct tool at the edges of the clips.
Also, external USB key licenses like Waves and Plugin Alliance do not work.

Last edited by juanjosalazar; 10-27-2022 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Update
Old 10-28-2022, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I think the new layout is the right idea, I just don't feel that they've quite nailed the execution of that idea. No doubt it will continue to improve.
I pal of mine had two hours trying to figure out his new Mac Studio ULTRA running Ventura..I guess he finally figured out the crash was from that old plugin X-Form. So he deleted it after narrowing down the issue and now it will load ProTools at startup. He did a total old school clean install as well FYI.

Just figured I would let people know this in case it might be a problem for others-:)
After a week of craziness, I am finally getting to open my Monday delivers Mac Studio ULTRA today or tomorrow and install my system and files from my Late 2013 Mac Pro.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 10-28-2022, 09:42 AM

I got the same jumpy cursor after running X-Form, otherwise Ventura seems ok.
Old 10-28-2022, 09:54 AM

What I said about drivers.. Well, after touching some of the changed frameworks got most of the failing drivers working but that of course is extremely unsupported. If you know your UNIX and are sure you are fixing things instead of breaking, the dot-zero release is workable.

I do not see much of a difference between Monterey and Ventura (besides changed frameworks) so in the end the only upgrade if some of your key software requires it. As of its latest incarnation Monterey is quite stable.

Namely, if any of your drivers rely on FWAUserLib.framework stay out.
Old 10-28-2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
As of its latest incarnation Monterey is quite stable.
Indeed, OS 12.6 w/ PT 2022.10 has been rock solid here. 2022.9 was nearly as strong with only a few small quirks. This week's PT update, along with Monterey, leaves me little reason to reach for any updates.