Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2011, 02:58 PM

Default Why is there a Short Delay everytime I click to recond enable a midi/instru track?

Why is there a Short Delay everytime I click to recond enable a midi/instru track?

It did not do this in PT9.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:11 PM

Default Re: Why is there a Short Delay everytime I click to recond enable a midi/instru track

Same here.

There is also an even longer delay when dropping out of record.

For me it's mainly an issue in my scoring template or with a large number of midi tracks (which I've tried importing into a new PT10 session).

This template and load was perfectly fine in PT9.

The number of midi tracks seems to be the culprit here.

Repro:

Setup a new session.
Add one instrument track with MiniGrand, whatever.
Add 250 midi tracks.
Record enable the instrument track: rec enable is delayed;
Record into that track - stopping record is also delayed. Takes about 3 seconds to stop.

Multiple that by hundreds of recorded clips during a day working on a cue (maybe a few thousand) - a lot of lost time waiting for PT10 to respond.

It seems midi has been dropped down some priority list in processes - not encouraging at all.

There was already a serious delay when opening a midi clip in the score editor from the key editor within a session with a large number of midi tracks (still there, making it unusable as a frequent tool).

I hope this is a unique issue with a quick fix. Delays like this make it very difficult/impossible to use ProTools10 for scoring work.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:28 PM

Default Re: Why is there a Short Delay everytime I click to recond enable a midi/instru track

To add to this test - repeat the test after cutting the number of midi tracks in half and record enable and record stop will progressively get quicker, but it is still noticeable with only 32 midi tracks.

It doesn't return to PT9 speed until you are down to only a handful of tracks.

Record stop is faster if I disengage record on the Avid Control then hit stop. Just hitting "Stop", spacebar, etc takes longer.

Record enable is slow using every method available.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:37 PM

Great...that is just great Glad to hear its not just me though.

Yes I have many instrument and midi tracks in my template. The same template in PT 9 works great.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:34 PM

I posted this to the Ideascale log.

Worth adding your vote(s).
Old 11-01-2011, 05:03 PM

There's more:

Click a tempo change marker in the tempo track, change tempo and hit enter - PT10 takes about 3 seconds to return the cursor and playback. This used to be pretty much instantaneous.

This is in a project with 200+ midi tracks, one video track and one audio - short film, but no midi recorded yet.

Also, I've noticed selecting midi tracks with the mouse is rather slow in larger template projects. It used to be pretty quick. Selecting via a Eucon controller is much faster.

Here again I turned off Eucon to test, but selecting with the mouse and changing tempo is still quite slow compared to PT9, same setup, same number of tracks, etc.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:48 PM

Have to say, this is very disappointing. PT10 really feels like midi not only took a back seat, but was shoved out of the vehicle in order to make room for disk caching, or whatever.

Fwiw, in the same 200+ midi track project where rec-arming a midi track is slow/delayed, arming an audio track is almost instantaneous.

What's going on Avid? This is a serious problem for composing work. It almost makes PT10 unusable. I'm delaying the hassle of reverting back to PT9 for now, but starting to contemplate going back to another DAW for scoring work.

Simply unacceptable.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:52 AM

Unhappy Re: Why is there a Short Delay everytime I click to recond enable a midi/instru track

Same here.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:14 AM

Spoke with Avid support about this. The rep did not see this on his system, but his systems is OSX. Since we are all on Win7, I'm wondering if it's platform-specific.

I'll post on the OSX forum and see if anyone responds.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dterry View Post
Spoke with Avid support about this. The rep did not see this on his system, but his systems is OSX. Since we are all on Win7, I'm wondering if it's platform-specific.

I'll post on the OSX forum and see if anyone responds.
Are you serious? They aren't even aware of this? I'm going back to PT 9. They should have done some proper testing.