Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 02-04-2023, 12:27 PM

Default what means hdx card finally tuned?

hi everyone,

I am looking for hdx used card to buy.what should I watch out for?Ιs there any difference between old and new hdx card?why avid promote it now finally tuned?

Thanks in adnanced
Old 02-05-2023, 09:09 AM

Default Re: what means hdx card finally tuned?

Hmm, I have never seen any reference to "finally tuned". Are you sure it wasn't "finely tuned"? Can you provide a link to where you read this?

In any case, buying an HDX card comes with a few other considerations that I want to make sure you are aware of:
1-HDX(and HDN) cards only work with Pro Tools Ultimate software.
2-The card has no audio capabilities without a separate interface such as Matrix, HD IO or 192 IO
3-Do you NEED HDX? What are you recording? The 2 biggest reasons for HDX are; the lowest possible latency for recording, and the most possible IO.
4-Old vs. new cards? Well, there are certainly a few revisions over the years, but older cards can have their firmware updated, but you buy a card that is flashed to the latest firmware.
5-What computer setup are you planning on using?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-05-2023, 06:48 PM

Buyer warning: HDX cards made 2014 or prior sometimes crash while updating the firmware, and it’s unrecoverable. I bought a 2013 HDX card, and had AVID on the phone for an hour trying to update the firmware. Finally had to send the card to AVID to update, and it cost $900.
Old 02-05-2023, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsureit View Post
Buyer warning: HDX cards made 2014 or prior sometimes crash while updating the firmware, and it’s unrecoverable. I bought a 2013 HDX card, and had AVID on the phone for an hour trying to update the firmware. Finally had to send the card to AVID to update, and it cost $900.
Don’t make up your own “facts”.
I’ve literally upgraded over 40 HDX cards made before 2014 with no issue. Multiple times over many years.
You had a bad situation. Doesn’t mean anything globally relevant. And using weasel words like “sometimes” but then presenting absolutes is not a cover.
Old 02-05-2023, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Don’t make up your own “facts”.
I’ve literally upgraded over 40 HDX cards made before 2014 with no issue. Multiple times over many years.
You had a bad situation. Doesn’t mean anything globally relevant. And using weasel words like “sometimes” but then presenting absolutes is not a cover.
Please chill. I used “sometimes” deliberately, as my AVID tech used that exact word. He explained the perils of buying used cards as one can not be certain if the hardware had been damaged, but most cards were pretty durable. I relayed a factual story. Call a hardware tech at AVID and ask (978-275-2555 is the number I called). My tech’s name was Nino, very capable chap. We did all the troubleshooting more than once with no luck, so off the card went to AVID. Anyway, my card was returned to me in working order and I’ve updated the firmware successfully at least twice since. I’m totally pleased with AVID. Jeffro and I even spoke on the phone a couple of times in the past - nice man. Sorry you got upset reading my post…a little out of character for you. Please read my post again. I will factually state once more that buying used cards sometimes does not work out as one would hope.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by nsureit; 02-05-2023 at 09:56 PM.