Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2010, 03:58 AM

Default Where is the fuse on Digi003R

Hi

I have search but can't seem to find the answer.

My digi003 has suddenly stopped working. When i try to turn it on it only says 1 click, and not 4 as usual and the displays only light up quickly, and then no power.

Therefore i would like to know where the fuse is located so i can see if that is the problem.

Or.. Do you guys have a better idea?..

Thank you
Old 01-02-2010, 06:44 AM

Default Re: Where is the fuse on Digi003R

I'd be on the phone to tech or customer support as this sounds like a serious failure. If the fuse was blown, there would be no flash and no click at all.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-18-2010, 04:35 PM

Great! My local tech says that the motherboard is broken..

There is no warranty left, and digidesign won't ship any spare parts.. So it has to be shipped out of the country (Denmark)

A repair will almost cost more than what the unit is worth..

I don't know what to do, and digidesign does'nt care.. They made a product that out of blue just stopped working and they feel they have no responsebility!

I have never been treated worse by ANY company..

I really do not know what to do... What would you do??
Old 01-18-2010, 05:04 PM

Sorry to hear of your problems. As with any product, there is a period for the warranty coverage. After that coverage period, all costs related to repairs are the responsibility of the purchaser. At least that is the way it works here in the US. Perhaps local laws are different in Denmark. It sounds like you are not too happy with Digidesign's customer service position on this. You have the freedom to choose to not use Digidesign products if you like and change to another product for your work. There are many very good options out there. If you choose to stay with Digidesign, and the cost to repair the unit is equal to the purchase of a new one, I'd buy the new one. Perhaps you can look into a used one on Ebay.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 01-18-2010, 05:29 PM

Yes its the same in Denmark.

The thing is that at some small place i understand and respect the fact that there is a warranty period and so on..

BUT, when that period it is over at least give me the chance to buy the spare parts so it makes sense to fix it..

Well, i hope my local tech can do something..
Old 01-18-2010, 06:22 PM

Hey, it may not be as bad as what you think (i know we always think the worst in these situations)
Those clicks you hear upon power up are "relays" and as you are getting at least one of those clicks, it could imply that one of the others is sticking/jamming.... so it may be mechanical and not electronic/electrical........ of course this is pure conjecture on my part.
Anyway food for thought and best of luck
Old 01-18-2010, 08:44 PM

In a world of surface mount components there normally not much that can be fixed other than swapping out boards. It sux but the integration is what allows lower cost equipment with more features at a given price point. Said equipment is normally more power efficient too. Still it sucks when something blows up out of warranty.

Note to Digi....Rather than trying to sell support contracts why not offer a reasonably priced extended warranty on this stuff with the option to add support to it at a reasonable cost?

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-16-2010, 03:52 AM

Yes that would be a good thing...
Old 02-16-2010, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakkwylde13 View Post
Great! My local tech says that the motherboard is broken..

There is no warranty left, and digidesign won't ship any spare parts.. So it has to be shipped out of the country (Denmark)

A repair will almost cost more than what the unit is worth..

I don't know what to do, and digidesign does'nt care.. They made a product that out of blue just stopped working and they feel they have no responsebility!

I have never been treated worse by ANY company..

I really do not know what to do... What would you do??
You can't say Avid/Digi doesn't care - they gave you an option that's apparently not to your liking. Your unit is out of warranty and unfortunately you have to pay for the parts & repair. Not every company has a 'fix it for free as long as you own it' policy. Those that do either have deep pockets or go broke very quickly or they have extreme confidence their product will never break.

A 'portable' unit like an 003 cannot be expected to live forever. Surface mount parts are extremely fragile and unless the units is built like a tank with the internals properly supported (I'm an unfortunately retired EE who's done more than his share of work on surface mount equipment) you're going to have parts fracture. You probably have nothing more than a couple of parts that have to be replaced that any tech with a schematic and decent soldering skills couldn't fix.

Do you have to ship your unit to the US or is there a European service depot you could work with? You might want to investigate that.

All in all the question you really have to ask: how much is it worth to you to get the unit fixed? How much is your music worth? The answer to the last question should be 'priceless'. The answer to the first is up to you.

QAPLA!
Old 02-16-2010, 09:03 AM

Contrary to popular belief, manufacturers have no legal or moral obligation to make parts for their components after they are no longer used on the new devices or for warranty. In my work in the automotive industry I know of many parts for various 2006 model year cars that are now obsolete. Its way more common than you may think.

Bottom line is Digi doesn't have any obligation once the product goes out of warranty. You have the right to be disappointed and voice that displeasure but know that they are not out of line, at most they made a business decision with which you disagree.