How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2011, 05:45 PM

Default Control 24 with no power supply - to fix or not to fix

Hey guys,

I've inherited a Control 24 that's missing the power supply & rear panel that holds it in. I've gotten a quote to put a rebuilt power supply in it from my local ARC for $900 plus fix any potential "small" issues it may have. Is this worth pursuing in your opinions? I know it's sort of old news.

My planned usage is for breaking out mixes from PTLE 8.2 to it. I currently run a Digi002R which I'd prob still monitor from. I guess I'll have to get a converter (like the Tango 24) to be able to use all 16 channels from the Digi002R but I really like the sound (pun intended) of mixing on a desk of some sort.

My aforementioned plan is in theory the way I'd have to go is it not? The Control 24 isn't a PTs interface from what I've rea, just a big mouse basically with pres in it & a crappy monitoring section.

Thanks guys for any insight to my dilemma!

EDIT:
So I just got it home & took the bottom off & cleaned up the outside pretty well. Upon looking inside, it seems to all be there. All of the capacitors on the circuit board appear to be bent however. Not sure if this is the way it came from the factory or if it's from someone's arm reaching in while trying to get the power supply out of it. Anyone know or could someone possibly direct me to a photo somewhere of the inside? I googled the heck out of it with no luck.

Last edited by the blast; 12-21-2011 at 08:24 PM. Reason: More info
Old 12-24-2011, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Control 24 with no power supply - to fix or not to fix

YES and NO but yes mostly.
I have a Control 24 as well and it is FRIGGIN GREAT my mixes are way faster
automation is now so easy and quick , controls plugin peramiters (knobs). BUT
It will not work with ProTools 11 so I have read if you are not planning on moving past PT 10 do it definatly with no hesitaion. If you want PT11 you will be wasting $1000 bucks as PT11 will be out in 9 months.
I am big time stressin over the inevitable prospect of not having a control surface after owning and using these there is just no going back
I cant explain how amazing it is