Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Tracks play but all I hear is white noise

After opening a session playing or using the scrub tool (the little speaker) will result in white noise (or a close approximation) Sometimes closing and re-opening the session corrects it, sometimes closing and re-opening pro tools, sometimes rebooting. Sometimes nothing at all. I can see the meters responding to the waveforms on the tracks but all that’s heard is white noise.

So far I've been able, after a few tries, to get it to play back and get some work done, but it seems to be getting worse. This is over the last few days.

I’m running 6.9 LE with an older Mbox on a G4/733 with 896MB ram. Worked great until a few days ago. My Audiosuite stopped working while in the middle of a session. It would preview and go through processing but the file would be unchanged. It would get a new file name but sound the same as it did before processing.

I deleted the preferences as outlined in the Troubleshooting thread, and the Audiosuite worked again, but now this intermittent white noise problem along with requesting to re-link to files that aren’t there (they’re listed in the re-link box in italics) shows up.

Any suggestions would be appreciated before I delete the preferences again.

Thank you
k
Old 12-26-2005, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Tracks play but all I hear is white noise

Yeah, I get this too with my old Mbox. On mine it's because the USB connection on the back of the Mbox isn't as solid as it once was. Jiggling the connection back there actually changes the white noise, and getting it in the right position will eliminate it completely. I was told by my local repair center that any Digidesign repairs have a $90 minimum, so I decided to bite the bullet and deal with it as I'm planning on moving to M-Powered pretty soon.

Mine isn't as specific as using the scrubber tool, it just kinda randomly happens if I've moved my Mbox at all, but if I keep it in one place and leave the cable alone I don't get the noise problem.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I get this too with my old Mbox. On mine it's because the USB connection on the back of the Mbox isn't as solid as it once was. Jiggling the connection back there actually changes the white noise, and getting it in the right position will eliminate it completely. I was told by my local repair center that any Digidesign repairs have a $90 minimum, so I decided to bite the bullet and deal with it as I'm planning on moving to M-Powered pretty soon.

Mine isn't as specific as using the scrubber tool, it just kinda randomly happens if I've moved my Mbox at all, but if I keep it in one place and leave the cable alone I don't get the noise problem.
I have an Mbox with the same problem, but I don't think it's a hardware issue. I didn't get any white noise until I upgraded to OS X 10.4 and Pro Tools 6.9.2. I've upgraded my computer to a dual 1ghz g4 and I'm still getting the white noise.

At this point I've been working on the problem for over two months. I was using the same Mbox on a Powerbook 1.5ghz and never once got the blasts of white noise. I'm pulling my hair out.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:38 AM

I too get the occassional blast of white noise - out of nowhere. Quitting Pro Tools and re-opening it solves the problem. Scares the crap outta me when I'm mixing though!

Mbox
Pro Tools 7.0
Dual 1.8 Ghz G5
Old 01-02-2006, 07:36 AM

its the buffer size....

change it... and you got it resolved... but it works for recording... because.. the white noise for my expierience..happened when using the buffer to small...
Ministack v2 NEWERTECH FIREWIRE+SEAGATE 320Gb
Old 01-05-2006, 03:58 PM

Thank you all for your response

I still have the problem and it seems to be getting worse. I did a clean install (twice!) of PTLE with no improvement. It now will start it's shenanigans when I try and bounce to disk. I increased the buffers incrementally to their max to no avail.

One other thing I noticed is when recording a track the noise will start when I arm the track, before Record or Play is pressed (clicked). Un-arm the track and the noise goes away.

Other new anomalies: in record hitting Play causes the Stop button to flash once and stop the whole process in less than a second. If it does start it will stop after a second or two and give me the informative "9060". Increasing the buffers has no (positive) effect.

It had worked flawlessly since I installed it in last July. I'm a third of the (projected) way into a post project and I'm truly bummed. I'm at the point where I just want to open my G4 pour katsup into it.

Thanks again. I will try the Katsup and post back if it works.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:03 PM

Well, the katsup only made my RAM more tasty.

I installed a larger system drive and partitioned it into 3 logical drives. I used SuperDuper, http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDup...scription.html, to copy my existing system drive to partition 1 for my legacy stuff and on partition 2 I did a fresh install of OS X 10.3 and PTLE 6.9. and boot to the "PT" start up disk to work.

No weird noises or misbehaving buttons yet. So far, so good.