Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2023, 11:37 AM

Default pro tools unlinked all my files.

I recorded dialogue via pro tools a few weeks ago and when I went to check on it, it has completely unlinked itself. I have followed all the guides to relink the files but they dont work in restoring my files. The files are not on my portable harddrive(which I saved the pro tools session on to) and not on the locale harddrive where I recorded the dialogue.

Is there a solution to this or will I have to record the sounds again???
Old 03-31-2023, 11:42 AM

Default Re: pro tools unlinked all my files.

If you can find the files(which means they do exist), search youtube for videos showing how to manually relink(its been so long, I can't remember)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-31-2023, 12:07 PM

I've tried to manually relink the files and it doesn't work.
Ive also tried the new workspace and default the audio files come up there but no where else on the hard drive when I try to relink.
Old 03-31-2023, 12:32 PM

Manual relink will only work if you know where the actual files are... otherwise it is a waste of time.

Are you absolutely sure you know where the assets were recorded to?

Was there a different removable disk, thumb drive or network drive possibly attached while you were recording? Make sure they are still attached/mounted and double check there. Check all drives you have physically attached actually do mount correctly and where you expect them to.... Are you using NTFS symbolic link or folder mount pointe for the portable drive? What could have happened if the external portable drive was not actually mounted when you recorded stuff? Could you have that content in a similar named different folder?

You can try the windows recursive file search thingy (google for the equivalent of UNIX find on Windows) to search for the files, make sure all your drives are attached, do not rely on Windows indexed search, the indices might be corrupt/not created).

Whatever happened this is very unlikely any problem in Pro Tools, these almost always end up being user caused problems. One benefit of recording to an boot/system drive (if it is a fast SSD) is the extra simplicity in that reduces the chance for errors.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 03-31-2023 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-31-2023, 01:56 PM

How you should be searching for your missing files on Windows: https://superuser.com/questions/4014...and-on-windows

Personally I have the cygwin utilities installed so just use UNIX find. Lots of ways to improve Windows by adding parts of UNIX/Linux, cygwin, WSL2, etc.
Old 04-03-2023, 06:54 AM

You can find out where Pro Tools thinks the files should be in the re-link window by scrolling to the right until you see the Path column, this should tell you what the original path of the files was. You can also get to this info by opening the session, opening a PT Workspace browser, selecting the Session Audio Files subfolder of your session in the left-most pane, and scrolling the main window over until you see the Path column. This might give you a clue about where the files were originally recorded to.