Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2003, 05:10 AM

Default Play Midi Notes When Editing Velocity?

I just moved over to Protools from Logic, I Program a lot of my drums, most of the time with Battery and the sounds from Drum Kit From Hell. The thing is, when you load the kit files from DFH into Battery, every cell (i.e. C3) contains up to about 12 velocity layers, and each velocity layer with its own sample. So when I'm programing the drums I use the velocity view a lot to get the right "feel".
It just bums me out that this has to be a two step process, since there is no sound when you edit the velocity.
There is a feature in the midi preferences that's called "Play Midi Notes When Editing", Great!
But in my meaning there should also be an option that says "Play Midi Notes When Editing Velocity".
Is there a way to make this possible?
Old 11-20-2003, 08:03 AM

Default Re: Play Midi Notes When Editing Velocity?

In velocity edit mode, if the note(s) is in the bottom 75% of the edit window (below the top tick on the left) you should be able to hear the note when editing. You should be able to do all types of editing as well as hear the note when clicked. If the note is above the tick, you can only edit velocity. The easiest way to move the notes down is to click on the up arrow on the left, which will move everything down.

The more I look at this it seems that the distinction between the two modes is not necessary. The only advantage I can see in using the top 25% area is that if noting is selected, then editing velocity affects all notes. Personally I'd find it easier not to have to manage positioning of the notes. Cmd-A is still available for changing velocity on all notes.

Busch.