Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2014, 09:31 AM

Default Can anyone remove background noise from recorded voice conversation?

Hi there guys,

I'm new to this board and the professional audio scene.

I recently recorded a voice conversation, but the recording is full of background noise. It's almost impossible to hear what's being said (Dutch language). I tried some editing and amplification with Roxio Sound Editor 2012, but with no success.

Can anyone maybe optimize the recording, so the conversation can be heard clearly? And than please tell me how yo did it and what software you used =)

Link to recording: http://www43.zippyshare.com/v/43187881/file.html

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Devsel
Old 05-19-2014, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Can anyone remove background noise from recorded voice conversation?

Wow, that's pretty bad.

Someone that's good with

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/audio-repair/rx/

might be able to get you some of that back, but it might be too far gone.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Can anyone remove background noise from recorded voice conversation?

Wow, the problem you're going to have with any technique is that the signal to noise ratio is almost zero, ie: the good signal isn't appreciably louder than the noise, so it's hard for any process to separate the two. I think you're in trouble with this one. Can you re-record it?

If so, get a good pre-amp, decent mic, and get it absolutely as close as you can to the subject and get a decent level on your recording.

Good luck.

Chris
Old 05-20-2014, 04:34 AM

Thanks for the tips guys!

I booked some pretty good results with Audicity. Making a noise profile of a tiny selection of background noise and remove it throughout the track. The voices can be heard much better now. I will try some with th RX-3 software.