Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2014, 09:40 AM

Default Basic questions about 11R

Hi, first i want to introduce myself. I´m an amateur guitar player that's been playing for over 20 years now (I´m old!! )

I mostly play/practice at home with headphone or via my power engine 60. I do a few gigs a year, but i´m not a gigging musicians. However anything I have and buy is with stage on mind. I don record music at all.

I begin in the modeler patch since the Pod 2.0 came out. I´ve had pod xt, pod x3 and lastly the pod hd500. That was my last Line 6 product.

I´ve been struggling for a decent tone since then. With the HD i managed to achieve a very nice fender clean and break up tone, and an acceptable lead/rhythm hard rock tone (using dual amps, 20 ms delay on left side, chorus and tweaking a lot).

But this weren´t even the reasons to move on. The thing is the pod hd broke on me a couple of weeks ago and started acting really weird. I then decided it was time to move on.

Axe fx was not an option for its price. And really the only thing that catch my attention was the 11R.

Yesterday I order a new 11R with expansion pack but without PT. Luckily for me it was the same day the standalone editor came out.

I haven´t received the unit... probably in 7-10 days it will arrive... but I´m very anxious and have a ton of questions that would appreciate if someone could give me some input:

1- The amp out are mono when using just one? i mean can I connect the L (front panel) or R (back) to the power engine and it will sum both channels?

2-With the pod hd I send line level out to the power engine, but I´ve read that the amps outs are instrument level... will the 11R "drive" the power engine enough?

3-Could i use the pod hd500 as a midi controller for the 11R?

thanks a lot. Sorry for the long post.

***edit:
4- I also read that using the headphone out to feed an amp sounds better. Is this a common thinking? or is just a few users perception?
Old 01-24-2014, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Basic questions about 11R

You could use either the amp outputs which are instrument level or the line outputs on the rear of the 11R to drive the Tech 21 Power Engine. Try them both and see what kind of sound yo get. As long as you get enough signal and don't overdrive the input of the Power Engine then you're good to go.

You never want to use headphone outputs to drive anything but headphones. Impedance match is a problem as well as overdriving the input of whatever amp you might be using, whether the Tech 21 or another amp.

Unusual to hear of buying an 11R without PT unless the seller was just tired of the 11R. Is this a new unit or a used one? Either way you're going to want to make sure the unit has the ERXP so you can use the editor. If it doesn't that's another almost $100 US.

Oh yeah - make sure your computer is running a 64 bit operating system as that's mandatory for using the editor.

QAPLA!
Old 01-24-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You could use either the amp outputs which are instrument level or the line outputs on the rear of the 11R to drive the Tech 21 Power Engine. Try them both and see what kind of sound yo get. As long as you get enough signal and don't overdrive the input of the Power Engine then you're good to go.

You never want to use headphone outputs to drive anything but headphones. Impedance match is a problem as well as overdriving the input of whatever amp you might be using, whether the Tech 21 or another amp.

Unusual to hear of buying an 11R without PT unless the seller was just tired of the 11R. Is this a new unit or a used one? Either way you're going to want to make sure the unit has the ERXP so you can use the editor. If it doesn't that's another almost $100 US.

Oh yeah - make sure your computer is running a 64 bit operating system as that's mandatory for using the editor.
Thanks for your answer. Its a new, never opened, unregistered unit. Version 2.0.3 i think and it has the erxp installed. Theyre on eBay for <400. I guess the seller sells PT and 11R apart and make a profit.

I'm really hoping this unit to be a keeper
Old 01-27-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rublalup View Post
1- The amp out are mono when using just one? i mean can I connect the L (front panel) or R (back) to the power engine and it will sum both channels?
A: No it's one or the other, setup your rig to mono output, or buy a second PE60 Better option is to use the XLR output to your PE60.

Quote:
2-With the pod hd I send line level out to the power engine, but I´ve read that the amps outs are instrument level... will the 11R "drive" the power engine enough?
A: Use XLR output to your PE60, and setup Rig Output to have cab sims.

Quote:
3-Could i use the pod hd500 as a midi controller for the 11R?
I cannot confirm but I read Line6 midi implementation and there's no reason for not working