Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2021, 10:14 AM

Default Re: How many people have wiped their computer and done a completely clean is installl

I am a hobbyist nowadays (previously project studio owner). Since I no longer have paying clients nor projects stacked up to the roof, I have the time to do a clean install most of the time. I'm on Protools Vanilla running on a MacBook Pro. I have a modest collection of plugins and virtual instruments so reinstalling is not too daunting. I understand for professional users and mission critical deadlines of studios, time is not always available. Add to that a massive inventory of 3rd party plugins and virtual instruments and the time commitment to do a clean install may not work for you.

Having said that, I can not tell you how many times a clean install has removed a nagging issue or glitch in Protools. I do admit that it does not identify the offending piece of code or plugin and simply overwrites the problem with a "non-corrupted" setup. If it were easy to identify the problem software and just remove it or reinstall it, that would be great. More often the time to identify the problem even takes longer than doing a clean install. Fortunately we have many able and technical folks here that try to troubleshoot the issue and provide solutions or workarounds so you are not alone trying to figure it out. Many with decades of experience with Protools and computers in general. They have saved me many times and I hopefully offer help to others along the way also.

The Protools ecosystem is complicated and honestly fraught with years of ongoing issues. Constant OS updates by Apple introduce changes even before Avid and 3rd party plugins have a chance to catch up, which keep the environment in flux. It is the nature of the platform. Don't get me wrong. I'm not a fanboy. I have in the past thrown in my vitriol towards Protools along with most of you. Their cost structure and business practices still leaves much to be desired. Despite all these challenges, I still find Protools to be my choice for a DAW and I still use it for making music as my hobby.

...Did Apple just release MacOS 11.6? Well time to do a clean install again.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1