Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2013, 03:19 PM

Default Control all send fader levels together

This may have been answered already once before, so my apologies if so, but when creating headphone mixes with sends, how can i control the fader levels of said headphone sends together?

Can I copy the send fader level from one send to another?

Or, better yet, how do I make my headphone mix mirror my actual mix so the headphone mix sounds at least close to the current mix of the channel faders?

Thanks.

MAC OS Ventura
Pro Tools 2024.3
2020 iMac 27" 3.2 Ghz i5, 64GB Ram
UA Apollo Rackmount Thunderbolt + Dangerous D-Box
2x Glyph Studio 2TB Raid SSD
Old 11-23-2013, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Control all send fader levels together

Please describe what system you have. I'm using a Digi 002 and the headphone mix on it is pretty close to my monitor mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Digidesign 002 (soon)
Old 11-23-2013, 04:58 PM

I've got an apogee quartet paired with a mackie universal controller. Though I was really asking how to do this all in pro tools using shortcuts. The hardware really shouldn't make a difference, right?

MAC OS Ventura
Pro Tools 2024.3
2020 iMac 27" 3.2 Ghz i5, 64GB Ram
UA Apollo Rackmount Thunderbolt + Dangerous D-Box
2x Glyph Studio 2TB Raid SSD
Old 11-23-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anackman View Post
I've got an apogee quartet paired with a mackie universal controller. Though I was really asking how to do this all in pro tools using shortcuts. The hardware really shouldn't make a difference, right?
Hardware can make all the difference as the number of outputs controls the number of possible headphone mixes. Here's my suggestion(and its how I work, but with a few more outputs. First, get a modest headphone amp. I am quite happy with this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alesis-Multi...item565af4a1c7
But the cheaper Behringer HA4700 would also do. Feed the main stereo mix into the HP amp(so performers hear what you hear). Then use some(2) AUX sends to feed outputs 3&4 and send those to the aux inputs on the headphone amp to give 2 players "more me" by sending from tracks(like giving the drummer a pre-fader send of click so you can turn it down or off in the main mix). To make this work best, since the aux inputs of the headphone amp are designed to receive a stereo signal, solder some special cables so your mono send feeds both sides of the aux input. I do this with 6 sends(from Pro Tools) via 6 analog outputs of my interface, but you can certainly do at least 2 with your 4 available outputs

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-25-2013, 01:03 AM

Hey, maybe this is what you're looking for..

Select all the tracks that contain your headphone sends, and press CMD+G (groups window), then you can check only the "send levels" box to be linked within that group. Name it whatever you want. Then you can just turn that group on/off when you want to adjust all levels at the same time.

If you want it to mirror your own mix, just make sure the sends remain post-fader, and at unity.

If you want them to be independent of your own mix (if you want to mute tracks for yourself but not for your performers, as an example), then make them pre-fader, and adjust the send levels to tailor your HF mix.

Hope this helps!

edit: forgot to also add that when you have the tracks selected, if you hold Option+Shift while making one send, it will make an identical send for those tracks you have selected, whereas holding just Option will make the send on ALL tracks.

-Chris

Mid 2010 Macbook Pro 7,1, 2.4ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8gb 1067mhz ram, Mountain Lion 10.8.5, Mbox 3 Pro,
Pro Tools 11.0.2

Last edited by lostinthehallway; 11-25-2013 at 01:05 AM. Reason: details
Old 11-25-2013, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Or, better yet, how do I make my headphone mix mirror my actual mix so the headphone mix sounds at least close to the current mix of the channel faders?
Put an Aux in front of the Master and route everything through that Aux then to the Master. You can use a Send on the Aux for your headphone output - mix will be identical with its own volume control and output.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 11-25-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
...r, better yet, how do I make my headphone mix mirror my actual mix so the headphone mix sounds at least close to the current mix of the channel faders?

Thanks.
First, as has been pointed out, sends can be included in group parameters.

To the second part of your question; select the tracks you're interested in, press option-command-H, then select the send and parameters you want to copy.

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 11-25-2013, 11:34 PM

Rich is right... Easiest most efficient way through sends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2013, 03:23 PM

If you want your headphones mix to mirror your main monitor mix, just uncheck "sends default to infinity" in your setup> preferences> mixing screen and make all your sends post-fader. Put a master fader on the sends output to control level separate from the main output.

Usually, however, you will want your sends pre-fader so they can stay constant while you make adjustments to the main mix. If you have a controller you can usually flip the sends to the main faders to make cue adjustments easier.