Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 05-18-2020, 12:02 PM

Default Re: APFS or Extended Journaled for session drive?

Good day everyone,

I read this post from the start.
Oliver may I ask it can really take 5min. to boot ?

I did notice switch to APFS taking slightly longer for booting, but so far the workflow is gratifying indeed since switching to APFS.

I did CCC my drives and it did inform me that a update is needed for 64bit files.

Anyhow if I may inform (YOU'RE ALL GREAT FOLKS *ALL OF YOU), by seeing your names you all been a tremendous help for me and others as well, and I can't thank you all enough for your valuable time and efforts.

I work closely with with my communities, Council, City manager, police, fire on a daily basis and I surely get the blow back from all sides. Although my goal is to always be helpful and not hurtful, and trust me that I'm only pertaining this to myself, and not implying such to anyone.

I insist that we all keep the GROUP HUGS going, because we all are here to help each other, and everyone everywhere on all forums have a common goal is to help each other.

I'm so grateful for all of you folks, and have a great day, and please be safe.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:18 PM

For a slow boot try zapping your pram/nvram - hold down the control, option, P and R keys while starting the computer. Hold them down until you here the second startup chime. This might well speed things up.

QAPLA!
Old 05-18-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
For a slow boot try zapping your pram/nvram - hold down the control, option, P and R keys while starting the computer. Hold them down until you here the second startup chime. This might well speed things up.
Thank you Jack very much.

Long process. Now is trying to figure out which of the three will be my boot, audio, and sampler drive.

I know Janne mentioned the OWC SSD Sata bay drive for O.S. since it's the slowest of the drives I have.

1. I think OWC 6G SSD sata II (OS)
2. OWC Accelsior PCIe blade (slightly faster) for my sampler library
3. New Samsung EVO 970 plus for Audio

Sound like a winner ? thanks

After all worked I will reset the Pram & Pram

Old 05-18-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basslik View Post
Thank you Jack very much.

Long process. Now is trying to figure out which of the three will be my boot, audio, and sampler drive.

I know Janne mentioned the OWC SSD Sata bay drive for O.S. since it's the slowest of the drives I have.

1. I think OWC 6G SSD sata II (OS)
2. OWC Accelsior PCIe blade (slightly faster) for my sampler library
3. New Samsung EVO 970 plus for Audio

Sound like a winner ? thanks

After all worked I will reset the Pram & Pram
My boot drive in my 2012 cheesegrater is a 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO on an OWC accelsior pcie card. Boot time from chime is less than 20 seconds. Samples are on a 2 TB Samsung 860 EVO on another Accelsior card. Sessions go on a 4TB WD Black in one of the drive bays. Finally my installers are all on another 4TB WD black in another drive bay. Everything is backed up to external spinners.

Works reasonably well enough for me up to about 80 tracks or so. The only thing that gums up the works is the Baldwin Parlor Grand from WholeSounds (running in UVI Falcon) as that loads a LOT of samples. Slows save times down and is why when I use that I put it in VEPro and decouple it and PT. Depending on what your needs are you might want to look into using VEPro especially if you use the sample instruments in your sessions. Works wonders on a single machine.

QAPLA!
Old 05-18-2020, 09:45 PM

Thanks Jack. I'll proceed with the install and see how things work, have a great day all.

Old 02-04-2021, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
APFS... very robust advanced filesystem, and properly designed for Flash/SSD. Installed on hundreds of millions of devices
Am I missing something here because this is what I see on Avid Knowledge Base Hard Drive Formatting with Pro Tools ?

Drive Format System Media Notes
APFS (Mac) YES NO SSD Only
HFS+ (Mac) YES YES ---
NTFS (Win) YES YES ---
FAT32 (Mac & Win) NO NO Transfer Only

In every search i've made on "APFS or Extended Journaled for session drive", I have never found any comment on Avid's own recommendations or requirements for Hard Drive Formatting that Pro Tools Media should Not be on APFS drive. Unless Media is something else than Audio sessions or Sample libraries, why is no one mentioning this in this discussion ? I myself am wondering if I should use my Catalina APFS SSD System drive for future Pro Tools Sessions or continue with my HFS+ external SSD. Any info on this would be most welcome. Thank you.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:42 AM

APFS is designed for SSD drives (no moving parts). Any other system is made for spinners.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:49 AM

I agree that APFS is implemented for SSD drives.

I'm asking why is everyone discussing whether to use APFS or HFS+ format for Pro Tools Audio sessions, without addressing Avid's own requirements indicating "Media on APFS drive : No" ?

The following is copied from Avid page on Hard Drive formatting for Pro Tools Sessions :

Avid Knowledge Base
Hard Drive Formatting with Pro Tools
Tested audio drive formats

Last Updated : September 9, 2020
Products Affected : Pro Tools, Pro Tools HD, Pro Tools Ultimate

Audio Drive Requirements:
One or more hard disk drives dedicated for audio record and playback.
Audio drives (any drives used with audio recording or playback or transfer) should be formatted HFS+ Journaled (not case-sensitive) for Mac, or NTFS for Windows
CAUTION

Case sensitive volume formatting is not supported

macOS FileVault encryption is not supported

Drive Format...........System.........Media............N otes
APFS (Mac)..............YES...............NO........... ...SSD Only
HFS+ (Mac)..............YES..............YES........... .....---
NTFS (Win)...............YES..............YES.......... ......---
FAT32 (Mac & Win).....NO...............NO..............Transfer Only

Supported Drive Type Notes
HDD ---
SSD Preferred over HDD for System & Media
Fusion System drive only
NVMe Recommended for high bandwidth video
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2021-02-04 at 17.26.00.jpg (31.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-04-2021, 09:55 AM

APFS for SSD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2021, 10:01 AM

Nobody here cares much about what Avid says about APFS. We have been using APFS for years without problems. It is one of the worlds most widely used, most robust, most performant file systems. It's like SSDs themselves, Avid never provided any useful guidance on their use.. ..and their unchanged recommendations to use separate session drives, is beyond stupid in the age of PCIe/NVMe drives and can result in worse performance if followed blindly especially on modern Macs. I don't know how many times I have asked Avid to fix that documentation, I have given up. And what about approved systems? There are few that its practically useless. Do you run on an approved system? Screw that I would follow advice on known good systems from folks on DUC,

Avid is a small, perpetually struggling company. If you want to get stuff done you need to work out what advice from Avid is important (some is very) and what advice to ignore (some is a waste of time). But come on, you just quoted a document that has such embarrassing out of date ******** statements like needing dedicated *hard disk* drives for audio sessions, and the document is self contradictory about SSD vs HDD needs, and you are seriously thinking that document might be more informed than people posting in this thread?