Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-09-2012, 09:41 PM

Default No Sound Out Of PT???

Hello.
This is a very odd occurrence that's been happening for past few days. My system is MAC/Intel Pro Tools HD-9 System with 6 192s clocked by Big Ben with HEDD192 as master clock) and ICON . The problem started when a week ago few times I would open Pro Tools at the beginning of the day only seeing 5 out of 6 devices(192s). Had to restart it then it goes to full 6. That was a week ago. Few days ago, I open PT see 5, so I restart and still 5. No sound would come out of converters or get registered on meters of 192. Where I see it on meters in Pro Tools software. Tried restarting it few times, trashing preferences, switching sample rates. Finally, after a few hours sound came back on.
Next day same thing, accept now sound doesn't come back. Tried to find if its one of the converts (192) is bad. Thought I singled out one, disconnected. Ok everything came back on. Next day same thing, even with the disconnected 192 same problem No Sounds or audio on meters of 192s.
The weird thing is after about 2 hours the sound comes back....
Any ideas.
Thanks.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:59 PM

Default Re: No Sound Out Of PT???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixgeneral View Post
Hello.
This is a very odd occurrence that's been happening for past few days. My system is MAC/Intel Pro Tools HD-9 System with 6 192s clocked by Big Ben with HEDD192 as master clock) and ICON . The problem started when a week ago few times I would open Pro Tools at the beginning of the day only seeing 5 out of 6 devices(192s). Had to restart it then it goes to full 6. That was a week ago. Few days ago, I open PT see 5, so I restart and still 5. No sound would come out of converters or get registered on meters of 192. Where I see it on meters in Pro Tools software. Tried restarting it few times, trashing preferences, switching sample rates. Finally, after a few hours sound came back on.
Next day same thing, accept now sound doesn't come back. Tried to find if its one of the converts (192) is bad. Thought I singled out one, disconnected. Ok everything came back on. Next day same thing, even with the disconnected 192 same problem No Sounds or audio on meters of 192s.
The weird thing is after about 2 hours the sound comes back....
Any ideas.
Thanks.
Hi,

Sounds like a heat related connection problem? I would try reseating all the cards and connections and give everything a good clean and use a anti dust air spray to get all dust off the connections then clean with contact cleaner.

I would also try any trouble shooting using only one interface and card and try to isolate if it's one specific cable, card or interface causing it.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:35 AM

Default Re: No Sound Out Of PT???

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

Sounds like a heat related connection problem? I would try reseating all the cards and connections and give everything a good clean and use a anti dust air spray to get all dust off the connections then clean with contact cleaner.

I would also try any trouble shooting using only one interface and card and try to isolate if it's one specific cable, card or interface causing it.

Chris
Thanks Chris yes I would think checking all the cables and cleaning connections is a must. Not sure if its a heat thing, feels like the other way around. Since it takes few hours for it to come after I turn everything off for the night, maybe something needs to warm up... I tried to isolate one interface but still no sound, then it just comes on out of blue in few hours. So now I just keep it on all the time and its fine, but that's not the answer of course. I'm in the middle of a few big projects so can't really do any major tests and my assistant's been sick for a week, how convenient :)