Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2003, 06:01 AM

Default Core Audio Problem!! DigiTechSupport please read..

I have a problem with the new core audio driver..

Here is my setup

Dual 2ghz G5
2GB RAM
160GB system/sample disk
36GB raptor (10.000 RPM) audio disk
200GB FW800 external disk
Mac OS 10.3.1 (journaling disablet on all drives)
Digidesign digi002 rack (Firmware v. 11) (the one that PT LE 6.2.2 upgrades to)
Protools LE 6.2.2
Emagic Logic 6.3.2

My problem is that i have a constant "hiss" i the background.. Very annoying, and my system is useless!!..

I borrowed another digi002r from a dealer.. but.. same story!!

This problem is Both in Logic anD protools.. But i can make the hiss go away!!!.. 2 ways to do that

In logic: While playing audioinstruments or during playback.. Simply press the mouse button and hold it down??.. then the hiss disappers?? (i click on the backgroun in the arrange window)

I ProTools.. open any audiosuite plug, and while playing.. click any fader, (you dont have to move it) ant the hiss goes away!!.. (goes away means lowers 30db aprox.. i it still there, but very low)

Same problem in reasom adapted!!...

Is this a know problem??.. Is this the driver or my MAC???

Anyone?? please help...
Old 11-24-2003, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Core Audio Problem!! DigiTechSupport please read..

sounds like you have something similar to this

petr

Old 11-24-2003, 09:27 AM

I have the same problem with my new Dual G5 2Ghz. It's killing me and on top of all the hum, noise and beeping when I use the Digi Core driver with my other apps in stand alone, (Reason 2.5, Live 1.5.2, Peak 3) etc... I get Kernel Panics galore!!! I believe there are problems with both the G5 and the Digi Core Audio driver.

I upgraded from a G4 733 to the G5 and just got my Mbox last summer. So my system is almost brand new and thus far it's totally useless. That's $4000 for nothing.

Ozz
Mbox PTLE
Old 11-24-2003, 09:47 AM

I agree there's some funkiness with the CoreAudio driver and 10.3.1. Using my Mbox with logic 6.3.2 sometimes randomly produces a weird buzzing sound when playing back sessions - everything is all garbled and distorted. Going into the audio hardware/preferences and toggling a few switches usually clears it up, but it doesn't seem to be related to any particular setting, just random - sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not.

-------
Mbox
1ghz TiBook / 1GB RAM
10.3.1 / 6.2.2
Old 11-24-2003, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Core Audio Problem!! DigiTechSupport please re

thank you all..

I belive that the PSU in my Dual 2Ghz is the problem!!.. I still have the problems, when useing the built-in soundcard from apple.. sad...

Anyone outthere who got their PSU changed to rev D????.. Did it solve the problem???

/Morten
Old 11-25-2003, 05:32 PM

Hello.

I have had the unfortunate experience of these horrible noises coming from all of the audio outputs of my new Dual G5 2Ghz, as well as the same results on a second replacement machine. My first Dual G5 not only had the audio problems but also had display problems. Upon cold boots it would not show a display. It would take from 5-6 reboots to get it to have a display. This is the reason my local Apple Store gave me a replacement machine. It was not due to the audio / noise problems. So after getting my second Dual G5 home to my recording studio, It wasn't too long after starting it up that I realized it too produced those same awful noises. These scratching / chirping, humming, beeping, buzzing sounds will grow louder as the CPUs work harder and when using graphically intense applications. As mentioned, they can become even louder by setting the energy savings to "highest" in system preferences.

Well being an Audio Engineer and having most of my applications specify to have the energy saving settings set to "highest" for optimal performance, leaves me kinda hung out to dry! For the record here are a few applications and hardware I've tried using. Digidesign ProTools with an Mbox, Reason 2.5, Ableton Live 1.5.2, Logic Audio Gold 6 with A62m usb interface, Peak 3.5 and a friend's Motu firewire device. All instances and combinations of using these products with the G5 produced UNACCEPTABLE NOISE! The G5's on-board sound is no better. Right now this "professional machine" is not even ready to do karaoke!

There are over 600 messages in Apple's own support forum regarding these issues and not 1 of them is from an Apple representative! They are simply failing to acknowledge it. So, where does this leave me? Well my second Dual G5 2 Ghz is now back at the Apple store waiting to have it's power supply replaced. Even so, the feeling I got from the technician was that they are "reaching", trying to figure it out and didn't sound to confident that the power supply would be the fix. Hopefully it will be ready on wednesday (11/26/03). And hopefully the noises will be history.

Ozz
Mbox PTLE
Old 11-27-2003, 07:04 AM

I found a way to eliminaate the noise, for trouble shooting purposes
open Live2.1 digi edition utlilizing core audio (not rewire)
from the Live browser , open Arranger Demo.als, open Session Demo.als.
double click on the Live Logo next to the .als names to switch between Arranger and Session.
right after I double click, I get a little Mac Timer (the old graphic type from OS9), and for that brief second
or two, absolute silence. The white noise disappears. I have MenuMeters installed which shows proccessor activity in the file menu bar, and the processors are certainly active and working, while the silence happens. So it appears to me the noise is most prevelant while the processors are idle?

also , I have somehow previously eliminated the cycling noise, (???), disk permissions???, not really sure, but I was left with this constant white noise, from (i think) the output monitors.

Any luck with the new parts?

gh
Old 11-27-2003, 08:33 AM

Lush,

That's an interesting obsevation. Well, I called the Apple store yesterday only have them tell me they 're still waiting for the PSU. Oh well, maybe friday.

I'll be sure to post back here and let you guys know how it is.

Ozz
Mbox PTLE
Old 11-30-2003, 08:03 AM

hey ozz,

You got anywhere yet,

here is some wierd things to check out.

with my 002r plugged into firewire, and the 002unit is powered off, (the monitors are connected to monitor left/right out), i get wierd little noises from the monitors when doing some tasks in Mac OS.
1. try disk permissions on the startup, there is strange static coming from my right output???
there are other instances of this as well within other apps and the os stuff.
I have tried different firewire cables? Perhaps it is a grounding thing?

let me know what you find out
Old 12-01-2003, 02:35 AM

Have you tried disableing NAP with CHUD??

It works for me!! also with FW 002r