Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 01-04-2014, 01:27 PM

Default ISSUE: Eleven Rack + OS X Mavericks + NO Pro Tools

hey folks, this is my first time writing on this forum.

I've searched around and have found people/threads with related issues, but almost all of these people have Pro Tools, which I do not have. These threads have not helped me out.

WHAT I GOT: Eleven Rack (firmware: 2.0.1, software 1.1.1), OS X Mavericks 10.9.1

I bought the Eleven Rack from a dealer who has removed Pro Tools from the package, this is the only way I can afford one right now. I plan on getting Pro Tools 11 this year, though.

I want to use my Eleven Racks as an interface/sound card for my Mac -- this is where the problem lies!!!

I get NO SOUND when connected. Via the Eleven Rack program in System Prefs it says NO DEVICE CONNECTED -- it is connected via USB. In the sound card (system prefs > sound) it does not recognize an Eleven Rack in output or input.

NOW the device WORKS and my computer recognizes it right after I download the 1.1.1 software from AVID's download page. I have to uninstall the existing 1.1.1 via the UNINSTALL ELEVEN RACK app, restart, and INSTALL 1.1.1, restart, then everything works wonderfully.

That's all fine and dandy UNTIL my computer falls asleep or I turn my Eleven Rack off and back on. AFTER THIS my computer will not recognize the ER. I tried restarting several times. Reconnecting USB and the Main Output cords to my speakers. Turning the ER off and on multiple times doesn't help. Trying a different USB cable doesn't help either.

WHAT WORKS: I have to UNINSTALL and RE-INSTALL 1.1.1 then BAM it suddenly works again! I do not want to do this every time I want to use my ER.

Software version 1.2 (that works with Mavericks but requires Pro Tools) actually does the same thing.

-- During all of this: using the ER (without my computer) to play guitar through works just fine, every single time.

WHAT CAN I DO??

Why doesn't AVID provide Mavericks-compatible software for the Eleven Rack for users W/O Pro Tools?

I am frustrated, confused, and pissed. Any info to fix this would be much appreciated.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:50 PM

Default Re: ISSUE: Eleven Rack + OS X Mavericks + NO Pro Tools

Have you done the system optimizations that Avid recommends?

You mention the computer sleeping.... Avid drivers, to my knowledge, have never supported Sleep/Hibernate.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2021
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 01-05-2014, 09:32 AM

I would ensure that you have the latest supported 11r driver from avid installed. I would verify the usb cable as well. Make sure it is not plugged into a hub but directly into the machine. 1.1.1 is working on my end with Mavericks 10.9.1.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:48 AM

This setup is working exactly (and as badly) as expected. You cannot sleep/suspend a Mac (or have it do so itself) when the Eleven Rack is connected. You have to power down the Eleven Rack first. If you do do this and the driver does not see the Eleven Rack then normally rebooting the Mac should fix the problem.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:11 AM

I am having somewhat similar issues with the eleven rack even with pro tools. The audio interface shows up in my sound preferences, and when I select it, no audio is played. I found that the app nap feature interferes with eleven rack operation. So you might try turning that off. Can someone tell me where I can find instructions to uninstall eleven rack drivers? I'd like to give that a shot. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceoperations View Post
I am having somewhat similar issues with the eleven rack even with pro tools. The audio interface shows up in my sound preferences, and when I select it, no audio is played. I found that the app nap feature interferes with eleven rack operation. So you might try turning that off. Can someone tell me where I can find instructions to uninstall eleven rack drivers? I'd like to give that a shot. Thanks.
Uninstallers for OS X are on the driver install .dmg images, i.e. how you installed the driver in the first place.

Ah but your problem is somewhat similar to what? And if the same as described in this thread, the "even with Pro Tools" is not surprising at all as the issue as described in the original post is a driver issue, it has nothing to do with the DAW or applciation.

The problem as described in the original post, is, to put it bluntly user error. It is a well known/documented/working as badly as expected/silly behavior of the drivers.

Just follow the system optimization instructions for OS X, and don't ever allow the system to automatically sleep/suspend and/or don't do that manually while the Eleven Rack is connected/powered on and this won't happen. There is *nothing* you can do to change that behavior.

So if that is not it then what exactly is the problem you are having? If you want help, detained system info, driver and OS X version, exact Pro Tools version etc. and some useful description of what exactly is happening would probalby help. Start at the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link above on this and every other DUC page, lots of useful info there, and if the problem is the same one as in this thread then you already have the answer, if its a different problem you really should start a new thread and provide all the usual/expected info there.