Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2005, 11:10 AM

Default MASTER FADERS METERS DONT MATCH

Hi, im running 6.4.1 on a G4 dual 533 (digital audio mac) upgraded to the gigadesigns dual 1.2 (running sweet so far by the way)...anyway i can start a new 24-bit session 48khz and add a stereo audio track (or any track) and add a master fader and the stereo track will be just about hitting 0 db whil the master fader shows alot lesss (presumably -14 less) ...whats going on??

I have my line level set for -10 , but ive tried +4 as well and that shouldnt effect what i visually see on th emaster fader anyway right??

dont get it, i feel that there is a simple answer for this and im probably an idiot but cant figure it out.
thanks
-Brian

[email protected]
Old 02-01-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Re: MASTER FADERS METERS DONT MATCH

oh yeah, i have D24 card and 2 dsp farms (not mix) all in the G4 (no chasis)
May have occurred when i upgraded to 6.4.1 from 6.3.2...I don't remember this bening like this...

thanks,
-Brian
Old 02-01-2005, 12:17 PM
Avid

Hi,

Are you also seeing this discrepancy on the interface meters? How many interfaces do you have and how are they connected?

regards,
Digidesign Technical Support
Old 02-01-2005, 12:35 PM

Are you in Pre-Fader metering (in the operation menu)?

JC
Old 02-02-2005, 11:54 AM

This problem has been addressed in another forum. Can't seem to isolate system or version of Pro Tools, but have seen it on some rigs of various configurations. The problem stems from using a session with +12dB fader gain. On systems that are demonstrating these problems, Pro Tools does not give you +12 dB gain of fader throw over 0dB, but rather recalibrates the fader down -6dB. Try this...set a signal generator on an insert generating any sound at -14dBFS. Now, using post fader metering, set your fader at unity gain and apple-click the fader level until you are reading the peak level. If your system is exhibiting this problem, your peak level should be reading -20dBFS. Check it out Digi. Then your master will compund the problem by also recalibrating -6dB down PLUS you mus take off -2.5dB for centre detent. This results in a drop of -14.5dB at the output.

Hope we can get this one figured out soon.

Cheers
Old 02-02-2005, 07:20 PM

Hey, thanks for your help !!!!!!!!!
Wow thats scary !!!!!!
That does seem to be whats happening.
I have 2 20 bit adat bridges as interfaces, 2 adat xts that im using one as 8 in and one as 8 out connected via lightpipe, and a swissonic AD24 (lightpipe 8 ins) for another 8 ins. when i just have a session with a stereo mix on one stereo track and a master fader they dont match, i was in prefadering mode and when i switched to post it seemed to be closer but still off, i need to get the signal generator test going and get back to everyone...
When i am sending a signal to the adat input , what the adat meter says , matches what PTs meter says. When im sending a signal out through the adat output , the adat's meters are lower then PTs, probably 14 or more db like said before(adat isnt precise enough to tell exactly but probably its the same amount)...would it be at least safe until i figure this out to say that sessions without the extra +12bd headroom option will be working normally? Will it affect the sound or cause a problem if i am forced to live with it and just crank my master fader up to compensate??

thanks again !
Old 02-08-2005, 05:15 PM

I experience this problem the other day I was pulling out my hair cause my mix was sounding crap and could not understand were all the high mids energy went. Tony Wall a great friend and mentor to me spotted this problem which I cant believe I did not notice it myself. I found that it was how my hardware was setup.

I simply went to my hardware setup and set it to "no device" saved it then went in again and reconfigured my hardware.

Hope it works for you and others.

Keep it Real
Kitch