Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 07:31 AM

Default Re: New Licensing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_uk View Post
While we are having this water cooler moment, i was thinking about backward compatibility, from a project studio point of view using PT11 Vanilla.
If you dont jump on the plan, and then down the line you wish to use a pro studio: would the pro studio be able to use your PT files?….normal plug in incompatibility being a given.
I mean (puts on cynics hat ) Will it be a case of ..your not on the plan so we cant assist you.Unless of course you are using a pro studio that is PT11 HD and they have also not jumped on the plan.
Its just chit -chat but i,m curious.
This is what really sticks in my mind. Backwards compatability for TDM sessions, how is this going to be accomplished with this new model?

Big concern of mine.

I had old projects in Cubase 4, needed the stems and wasn't sure how I was going to open them. Bought a copy of Cubase 7.5 and it opened my old sessions with all the settings and plugins that I still had installed (TC Powercore are not installed anymore). It was nice and easy to get at an old session.
How are we going to do that with Pro Tools moving forward???

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 10-27-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
While we are having this water cooler moment, i was thinking about backward compatibility, from a project studio point of view using PT11 Vanilla.
If you dont jump on the plan, and then down the line you wish to use a pro studio: would the pro studio be able to use your PT files?….normal plug in incompatibility being a given.
I mean (puts on cynics hat ) Will it be a case of ..your not on the plan so we cant assist you.Unless of course you are using a pro studio that is PT11 HD and they have also not jumped on the plan.
That's what I'm kind of wondering. There's already a bifurcated "standard" format: the Pro Tools 10 and before standard, and the Pro Tools 11 and forward standard. If the vast majority are going to hang out on 10 and before, what's the incentive to joining The Plan?
Old 10-27-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
I think it would put a non-plan PT file on the same footing as a file from any other DAW, in which case, the pro studio would have to accept stems. Does such a future incentivize the PT11 Vanilla project studio to pay $199/year to Avid, or does it incentivize that project studio to use another DAW?
Old 10-27-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Aren't they introducing a new file format with Everywhere?
Old 10-27-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfalfa View Post
That's what I'm kind of wondering. There's already a bifurcated "standard" format: the Pro Tools 10 and before standard, and the Pro Tools 11 and forward standard. If the vast majority are going to hang out on 10 and before, what's the incentive to joining The Plan?
Good point.
"bifurcated" great word, reminds me when i used rivets in a previous life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfalfa View Post
Does such a future incentivize the PT11 Vanilla project studio to pay $199/year to Avid, or does it incentivize that project studio to use another DAW?
Hmmm
Old 10-27-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righty27 View Post
Aren't they introducing a new file format with Everywhere?

Would make sense - a better format to transfer between people and....a way to force people to upgrade to stay compatable
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:20 AM

I don't buy a new file format now. PTX was introduced in 10 because part of AAX spec is available, but in reality it is the PT11 file format.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:41 AM

They have always offered lots better backward compatibility than anybody else. I can't imagine that changing because it's a major reason they own the post market where editors are constantly revisiting old projects. I suspect PTX session files already include provisions for a great many unimplemented features.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:56 AM

I have to say I'd be more interested in a plan if it included ongoing support for TDM - fixes for PT10HD, etc.

It almost makes sense for Avid to do this.

Best…H
Old 10-27-2014, 08:59 AM

TDM is dead and the best support we can hope is a matching AAX-DSP version of any TDM plugin you have been using. Or even AAX-native. Once you have that, the old session opens just fine on a new system