Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 01-18-2014, 07:33 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack stuck at splash screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Interceptor View Post
My 11R just did this trick today. Played fine in the morning, then 20 minutes later I booted it up and it hung at the start screen. I've tried everything - all the usual resets with REV + FX LOOP pressed etc, but not dice.

Since I'm in Australia too I think this might be a pretty doorstop - unless anyone has ideas?

Such a shame, I was just getting into this beauty.
Thats the soft reset, did you try a hard reset?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXTW5_A2C64

I'd try what musicman691 suggested too. Unplug it for a bit and let it sit. Try starting it up without being connected to the computer.

If you still can't start it up, you will have to contact your local dealer or Avid support
www.avid.com/support

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2021
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 01-18-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Thats the soft reset, did you try a hard reset?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXTW5_A2C64

I'd try what musicman691 suggested too. Unplug it for a bit and let it sit. Try starting it up without being connected to the computer.

If you still can't start it up, you will have to contact your local dealer or Avid support
www.avid.com/support
Yeah, I tried the hard reset too (rev + mod+ fx loop). No difference.

The "local" support centre is in Melbourne, and I'm in Perth. That's 3,417.5 km away. I'm not going to post it there to be told it will cost more to repair than it's worth. I need a local repairer here in Perth but I'm not holding out much hope.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:10 AM

Seriously, I have tried every suggestion here. My dud unit was unplugged for 2 weeks and still no dice. For me, also living in perth australia, i worked it out to be roughly around the $500 mark including postage each way, quotes from the ARC etc etc. As I said in a previous post a while ago, I believe this problem will continue to happen with more units reaching the 2-3 year old mark. I understand I have made a 2-3 year investment in my new unit and I accept the consequences. Sad but in my case - all too true
Gibson Guitars
Washburn Guitars
Michael Kelly Guitars
Yamaha Bass
Roland TD30K
EZ Drummer 2
Superior Drummer 2.2
Old 01-19-2014, 09:26 AM

Default Eleven Rack stuck at splash screen.

I also would tend to give up and just buy a used or new Eleven Rack. But before doing that it may be worth while opening up the unit, just looking if anything looks out of place, try reseating the ribbon connectors between the boards, you might have to ply off the hot glue to do that. Reseating can help if there is corrosion, etc., dirt in the contacts. If you have a friend handy with electronics they should be able to do basic troubleshooting like check the powers supply and supply rail voltages on each board. Check components for obvious thermal damage, etc.

There are internal status LEDs in the Eleven Rack, they start off solid illuminated then start blinking once the box is running. Three LEDs should end up blinking red, maybe one does not even start up solid. I would assume any one behaving differently indicates a problem on that board. I don't think we know any more about those LEDs and Avid has not exactly shared a schematic with us

Be careful of mains voltage, if you open up the Eleven Rack. It can kill you (especially at the non 110VAC kiddy voltages used in oz). If you don't understand working with electricity then do not do this.

Darryl
(From Perth....)
Old 01-19-2014, 11:15 AM

The other day my Eleven Rack won't power on. I noticed that I left the Phantom Power on so when I switched that off the Eleven Started. I don't know if this was a fluke or expected behavior. Also I don't know if this information is helpful to the topic of this thread, but at this point it won't hurt see if the Phantom power is on or vice versa and if turning it the other way might do something.

A frozen flash screen is most likely corrupt firmware. I am not sure if anyone here knows if this can be done even if the Eleven Rack is not recognized by a computer. Re flashing the firmware would be a question to Avid if no one here is aware of how it's done.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:28 AM

Certainly not expected behavior. It might indicate a power supply or similar problem in the Eleven Rack, but still hard to understand given that the phantom power is very low power. Was a mic connected that may have been faulty (e.g. Shorting the phantom power... But even that should be OK). It might also just have been random chance it worked and nothing to do with phantom power.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:01 PM

It's a bit puzzling to me, but getting back to topic, there's gotta be a way to power the ELeven Rack in safe, I can't believe that's not in the manual. I have some gear that's over a couple of decades and the instructions are there in the manual to load in safe mode and perform tests, such as buttons, switches etc.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:03 PM

Which is basically what you have with the hard reset instructions earlier in this thread. If they don't work you have a serious problem. You cannot build magic software that will always run even when the hardware is hosed.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:50 AM

Well safe mood is in most products, even Windows have safe Mode. I fixed a GR-33 (15-20 year old product) by loading into safe mode then performed test to isolate a faulty switch. It's not magic software.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
Well safe mood is in most products, even Windows have safe Mode. I fixed a GR-33 (15-20 year old product) by loading into safe mode then performed test to isolate a faulty switch. It's not magic software.
Actually it is magic software, or at least very dependent on how the s/w is written and how much the h/w needs it. If one is using a general purpose dsp chip then it's quite dependent on s/w; if it's a custom programmed gate array then that's another thing altogether. Some chips and systems simply don't have the capability to come up in some kind of safe mode. What you accessed on the GR33 was a diagnostic/debug mode that may be available in the 11R but the code is unknown to us mere mortals. The closest we have right now is the hard reset outlined by Benoni.

QAPLA!