Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2011, 10:40 AM

Default How do you invoke "Heat."

I got "heat" as part of my bundle with PT9HD, It installed OK but I don't see it on any of the plugin lists. How do you invoke it?
Old 09-14-2011, 10:46 AM

Default Re: How do you invoke "Heat."

I'm on my Native rig right now so not 100% sure, but I believe you go to the Options menu and select "Enable HEAT"

Also make sure in the View Menu that "HEAT" is checked in the Mix Window Views or you won't see the controls.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:21 AM

If you're using Aux Inputs (as I do exclusively), you won't see it and can't use it. I didn't find this out until after I purchased so had to return it. Real shame, because the demos I've heard are great.

No idea why they wouldn't extend functionality to Aux Inputs.

Jules
Old 09-14-2011, 11:44 AM

Heat is not a plug-in. It is a series of algorithms that makes the Mix Bus 'engine' sound better- like a vintage console or a tape machine. There are some minor adjustments for this effect, but basically it's either on or off, and it effects your entire mix.

Until 'Heat' was released there have been tons of plug-ins that have made individual channels in Pro tools sound better. But nothing that makes the engine running Pro Tools sound better. It's not helpful to think about Heat in the same way as you think about a plug-in effect.

http://imsproav.com/main/AVID99106212000.html
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:20 PM

It's actually a little tricky to explain how to activate and manipulate HEAT. I think the best way is in the mix window...

1. Open your mix window

2. In your mix window view selector make sure HEAT is checked (that will give you controls for each channel)

3. Then in the bottom right corner of the mix window is an arrow that will open the master HEAT controls. (It's exactly opposite of the track view arrow on the left side.) Opening this will give you the master on/off button for HEAT as well as the Drive and Tone Controls.

I'm sure you probably have this, but may have missed reading it. Here is a link to HEAT option guide that has a detailed step by step description of how to use it!

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor..._v10_67826.pdf
Old 09-14-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerman View Post
If you're using Aux Inputs (as I do exclusively), you won't see it and can't use it. I didn't find this out until after I purchased so had to return it. Real shame, because the demos I've heard are great.

No idea why they wouldn't extend functionality to Aux Inputs.

Jules
All that you need to do to get HEAT to effect the sound of an aux is to buss the outputs of all of your auxes to an audio track, make HEAT active on that track and keep it in input. Works like a charm.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
All that you need to do to get HEAT to effect the sound of an aux is to buss the outputs of all of your auxes to an audio track, make HEAT active on that track and keep it in input. Works like a charm.
Absolutely! This is a proper way to work HEAT into an Aux-heavy session, and worth the effort because it sounds great.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by promixr View Post
Heat is not a plug-in. It is a series of algorithms that makes the Mix Bus 'engine' sound better
I don't follow. Most plugins - especially mix bus plugins - are nothing more than a series of intelligent algorithms designed to make the mix bus sound better.

Are you saying that HEAT operates at a different stage in the signal path than other plugin inserts? It was my understanding that it rides on top of each individual track, processing before it hits the final bus.