How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2011, 07:00 AM

Default PT 9.0.2 002r known issue: PLEASE clarify

Reading the "read me" file I noticed this known issue:

Clocking to External S/PDIF Requires a Coaxial Connection (PTSW-128283)

When using Digi 002, you cannot clock to external S/PDIF using an optical connection <--- It makes lil sense to me, what that's suppose to mean? I have to use a regular RCA cable instead of an optical cable to connect S/PDIF?
Because optical (following the new "labeling"..) is intended ad ADAT, so what's up with the S/PDIF? that no ADAT it's different.. and I have the 002r connected with an external converter via ADAT just fine (the 002 is clocked externally by that) aside from the also known problem that the sync needs to be checked every time we boot the pc because it automatically revert to "internal"...

You can monitor audio using external S/PDIF optical signal only if the clock is set to Internal. You can use S/PDIF over coaxial for clocking to an external S/PDIF signal. <--- even less sense to me.. The above question remains, but here I have another doubt: I'm not using the 002r as my main converter, as i said is connected via ADAT to an ext AD/DA and also I wasn't using it as my main monitoring DA, instead I was using the Presonus Central Station, connected via S/PDIF, now I have the 002 S/PDIF out regularly connected to the Central Station S/PDIF in and when I switch to it (press the "digital" input on the CS one the main as usual) I get no audio.
Is that the known issue?

Does it mean if I have the 002 clocked externally via ADAT I can't use the CS as my monitoring DA if it's connected via S/PDIF?

Thanks
Old 03-21-2011, 04:52 PM

Default Re: PT 9.0.2 002r known issue: PLEASE clarify

Anybody out there?
Old 03-21-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestripe View Post

When using Digi 002, you cannot clock to external S/PDIF using an optical connection <--- It makes lil sense to me, what that's suppose to mean? I have to use a regular RCA cable instead of an optical cable to connect S/PDIF?
Because optical (following the new "labeling"..) is intended ad ADAT, so what's up with the S/PDIF? that no ADAT it's different.. and I have the 002r connected with an external converter via ADAT just fine (the 002 is clocked externally by that) aside from the also known problem that the sync needs to be checked every time we boot the pc because it automatically revert to "internal"...
first off spidf is not a "regular" rca cable, though it does look like one. but this is considered the coax connections.

an optical cable (sometimes known as toslink) can function in 2 formats over this cable, adat 8 channel or spidf 2 channel. this must be specified in your hw setups but defaults to adat

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-21-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:

You can monitor audio using external S/PDIF optical signal only if the clock is set to Internal. You can use S/PDIF over coaxial for clocking to an external S/PDIF signal. <--- even less sense to me.. The above question remains, but here I have another doubt: I'm not using the 002r as my main converter, as i said is connected via ADAT to an ext AD/DA and also I wasn't using it as my main monitoring DA, instead I was using the Presonus Central Station, connected via S/PDIF, now I have the 002 S/PDIF out regularly connected to the Central Station S/PDIF in and when I switch to it (press the "digital" input on the CS one the main as usual) I get no audio.
Is that the known issue?

Does it mean if I have the 002 clocked externally via ADAT I can't use the CS as my monitoring DA if it's connected via S/PDIF?

Thanks
you are using optical adat, so an 8 channel format, not optical spidf format to your ad/da.

your spidf coax is feeding your central station but is also sending clock to the cental station making it a slave. so the clocking issue does not apply to you.

do you have your outputs in pro tools set to spidf 1-2 and not analog 1-2??

are you using a regular rca cable for your spidf connections???

are you double checking connections, outputs to inputs?

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-21-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:

Is that the known issue?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
you are using optical adat, so an 8 channel format, not optical spidf format to your ad/da.

your spidf coax is feeding your central station but is also sending clock to the cental station making it a slave. so the clocking issue does not apply to you.

do you have your outputs in pro tools set to spidf 1-2 and not analog 1-2??

are you using a regular rca cable for your spidf connections???

are you double checking connections, outputs to inputs?
yo Steve. i might be wrong on this but i think the clocking issue does apply 'cause he is NOT usin' the 002R on internal. essentially he's clocking to external via ADAT then tryin' to pass the clock via SPDIF to to the CS...which is a no-go if i read things correctly.so he's gettin' clock data and digital output to the CS which is why he gets no sound.

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 03-21-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
yo Steve. i might be wrong on this but i think the clocking issue does apply 'cause he is NOT usin' the 002R on internal. essentially he's clocking to external via ADAT then tryin' to pass the clock via SPDIF to to the CS...which is a no-go if i read things correctly.so he's gettin' clock data and digital output to the CS which is why he gets no sound.
He is not using optical spidf, that is the problem. Coax spidf is fine. I run my setup like that all the time.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-21-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
He is not using optical spidf, that is the problem. Coax spidf is fine. I run my setup like that all the time.
yep...my bad...i re-read the read-me

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 03-21-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
yep...my bad...i re-read the read-me
its cool man, i know its the first time

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-22-2011, 06:46 AM

Thanks guys

Just to clarify: I AM using an optical cable to connect the 002 to the CS, my question was - as weird as it sounds - in case the known problems applies to such set up, if a regular RCA cable instead of the optical which I'm using could solve the problem.. which I myself imagined would be "no" but I thought about asking.

yo Steve. i might be wrong on this but i think the clocking issue does apply 'cause he is NOT usin' the 002R on internal. essentially he's clocking to external via ADAT then tryin' to pass the clock via SPDIF to to the CS...which is a no-go if i read things correctly.so he's gettin' clock data and digital output to the CS which is why he gets no sound

Exactly, that seems to be my problem. I'm clocking the 002 externally, to add the 8ch via ADAT, then what I'd like to do is using the CS ad monitoring DA to my monitor connecting the 002r via (optical cable) S/PDIF to the CS.

Of course I've been triple checking connections and I tried another optical cable just in case, both were boxed anyway.

So to my understanding, if I clock the 002r externally via ADAT I *cannot* use the S/PDIF connection (out from 002, in into the CS) to use the CS DA for monitoring? Am I right?
Is this the known problem and hopefully will be fixed at some point or it's just impossible to do it?
Old 03-22-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:

Exactly, that seems to be my problem. I'm clocking the 002 externally, to add the 8ch via ADAT, then what I'd like to do is using the CS ad monitoring DA to my monitor connecting the 002r via (optical cable) S/PDIF to the CS.

Not sure why you perceive this to be a problem.
You are asking the 002r to use 2 different formats at the same time over the optical connections.
If the optical is receiving ADAT from it's input then it has to output ADAT.
If the optical is receiving SPDIF from it's input then it has to output SPDIF.

The setting for the TOSLINK governs the format of the output and the input.
This is way if you use the optical for ADAT you then have to use the coaxial connections for SPDIF.

Shouldn't be a problem since the Central Station allows you to use either optical or coaxial for SPDIF.