Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2012, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Looks like good news for SC48 Users

doug - where are you getting the info that you have to have ProTools 10 to get the 32 channels of recording with the FWx. My understanding is that FWx is a driver separate from ProTools. Updating the FWx driver should update just the firewire interface that feeds into ProTools.

I could be wrong, but I haven't found any information on the 32 channels be limited to ProTools 10.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:44 PM

Hi guys, can anyone tell me the price of the stage 48 with 32 inputs and 16 outputs or empty and the Ethernet card?
Old 01-22-2012, 02:48 AM

No prices or dates announced
Old 01-22-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrison.ece05 View Post
In regards to the extra DSP, you would have to guess that it is a complete re-write of the software using new more efficient algorithms and/or a more efficient coding language. The Venue software for the SC48 is built off the D-Show/ Profile Software where DSP in those systems is more plentiful and thus the coding doesn't have to be as efficient. Making more efficient algorithms and code requires time. This could co-incide with the re-write of ProTools where the AAX plugin model could eventually migrate to the live sound arena.

OR we could just be synical and say the horesepower was always there, they just throttled it back to create a new product market and upsale you later. i.e. The Apple approach. =)
I would tend to believe more that the horsepower was always there BUT the original limitation was based on the efficiency of plugins available at the time. Since then, companies like Waves have created efficient, DSP-sharing plugins and people were running out of slots before DSP. So they opted to raise the slot limit to accommodate this...
Old 01-22-2012, 12:46 PM

I would really like to see 8 stereo subgroups and not lose 8 auxes. For me, that's a pretty bad limitation. I was hoping that would change with this release.

Exclusively at the Miners Foundry
Old 01-22-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I would really like to see 8 stereo subgroups and not lose 8 auxes. For me, that's a pretty bad limitation. I was hoping that would change with this release.
I think they will make it Var group, just like on the other consoles.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stygar View Post
I would tend to believe more that the horsepower was always there BUT the original limitation was based on the efficiency of plugins available at the time. Since then, companies like Waves have created efficient, DSP-sharing plugins and people were running out of slots before DSP. So they opted to raise the slot limit to accommodate this...
I could see how that is a contributing possibility to having extra plugin slots. I know that when I mix on a SC48 I run out of DSP for plugins before I run out of available plugin slots. That is with using plugins from McDSP v5, Revibe (seems to suck up a lot of DSP), and Waves v8. It could be the plugins that I am using. I have tried to free up more DSP by limiting channel count and the number of graphic EQs that I need. It could just be the plugins that I use....who knows.

It is a little annoying that Avid has given information about this release, but no information on price, release date, or an available standalone version. All the videos from NAMM have just been marketing stunts without any video demonstrations of the new version of the software. I guess I am such a nerd that its killing me to actually see the software work.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrison.ece05 View Post
I could see how that is a contributing possibility to having extra plugin slots. I know that when I mix on a SC48 I run out of DSP for plugins before I run out of available plugin slots. That is with using plugins from McDSP v5, Revibe (seems to suck up a lot of DSP), and Waves v8. It could be the plugins that I am using. I have tried to free up more DSP by limiting channel count and the number of graphic EQs that I need. It could just be the plugins that I use....who knows.

It is a little annoying that Avid has given information about this release, but no information on price, release date, or an available standalone version. All the videos from NAMM have just been marketing stunts without any video demonstrations of the new version of the software. I guess I am such a nerd that its killing me to actually see the software work.
I have asked for more slots on SC48 cause I'm running out of slots easy, but still have DSP available. I think most people using Profiles don't think too much if what they use as a plugin is overkill for what they do or not.

Having been on SC48 will teach you to think twice of what you use. For example the reverbs. Instead of loading ReVibes for everything I'll do most of the drum stuff with D-Verbs, I get decent basic Hall, Plate and Ambience out of D-Verb without loosing too much DSP.

I see sometimes people throwing ML4000's up every time they need a multiband compression when they actually have just one critical frequency or frequency band that needs some additional compression. MC2000 is just a tool for that and it can be loaded as 2 band multi only and you save DSP right there.

Also if you like to use Transient Designers on drums, Phoenix'es on everything and Parametric EQ's on your outputs doing monitors from FOH it is not too hard to run out of slots before DSP on 20 slot SC48.

So considering all this it seems now I actually might be able to sell my Profile and go completely SC48. SC48 has grown a lot of balls with this update.

PQ mixes, 32+ recording channels and more DSP is what Profile now has that SC48 does not have, and that is not too much if you ask me. To make Profile better, Avid, please, make Profile to have the ability to have SEPARATE user inputs for all the PQ mixes and rewrite the PQ mixers so that inputs could be mono OR stereo so that we do not waste 2 inputs for stereo signsals. This way the desk would become a serious FOH/Artist driven MONITOR mixer!

If this update would require more DSP you would drive some DSP card sales as well I would buy a card instantly if I would get this PQ update and if auxes/busses section would get an update so that I would always have my GROUPS stereo no matter how many AUX'es I'm using. This feels totally doable, so, please, do that before you dig back in developing the new desks
Old 01-23-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesigner View Post
If this update would require more DSP you would drive some DSP card sales as well I would buy a card instantly if I would get this PQ update and if auxes/busses section would get an update so that I would always have my GROUPS stereo no matter how many AUX'es I'm using. This feels totally doable, so, please, do that before you dig back in developing the new desks
There is no room inside the SC48 for another DSP card.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McCullcoh View Post
There is no room inside the SC48 for another DSP card.
I should have explained better, I was already talking about hypothetical Profile update