Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2013, 06:43 AM

Default 192 confusion and Adat 24 bridge

I have connected an ADAT 24 bridge to the legacy port of my 192 (which has 16 simultaneous in puts - 8 digital and 8 analogue)I used a Y cable and 2 digilinks . I have switched to 'legacy port' option in HARDWARE, and the extra 16 inputs are there in the software. I made a new I/O set up using all my 32 inputs. I have connected the word clock slave out from the 192 to the ADAT bridge. But, there is not a sound from the new ADAT inputs. Am I doing something wrong? I've got a loop banging away on a pc with an RME adat card connected up to the ADAT bridge...and all the above connections, and not a dickie bird.

If you have got this far, thanks for reading. I suspect I will be displaying my ignorance here by asking the next question: If I actually by some miracle get the above set up to work...will I then have 32 simultaneous inputs into Pro tools?

Any help or insights gratefully received.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:01 AM

Default Re: 192 confusion and Adat 24 bridge

Hi, sorry I'm not in front of my system, but I have a setup quite similar to what you describe (running Reaper as a VSTi host on a standalone PC, lightpiped to and ADAT bridge on the legacy port of my 192.)

Yes it will work for you, you will get all those inputs. So while I can't tell you what is going wrong, I can tell you to persevere and it will work.

Something you might try to verify that the optical stuff is connected right... make sure you are getting sync via optical. Sorry if you already knew this but optical carries its own sync, so you should be able to set the ProTools system to "internal" and then sync the PC to optical and have a valid lock on the PC. That would at least confirm that you have a valid optical loop.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:49 AM

That's really encouraging!...thanks very much. I am quite ignorant about sync matters. If you are interested, without the ADAT bridge in place, my system was set up like this:

2 pcs . One using spdif out to 192 spdif IN . The second PC using ADAT pipe to expansion card on the 192. (and then to a mac running PT 8) So I got to use the 8 available digi ins with 2 pcs. Also using the 8 analogue ins. I used SPDIF as the sync. (No idea why exactly...it just worked) I use Plogue Bidule on both PCs.

I shall persevere with the optical sync. thing. Thanks again.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:14 AM

Check and double-check your clock cabling.

First of all, your interfaces (192/adatbridge) should be synced using the 192 ext.out which outputs 256x superclock when you have switched to legacy mode.

Then, the rest of the stuff that connects to the adatbridge, those will also have to be synced proplerly. In other words, every single digital gear must slave to the 192 clock. If you only output ADAT to the adatbridge, you must feed wordclock to the device from 192 or adatbridge. You can probably use the 192 loop sync output as well, because it always outputs 1x normal clock. If your box has adat in and adat out connected to the adatbridge, then it should receive clock from there.

Digital connections only work properly when clocking is sorted out. And there can only be one clock master in the system!
Old 04-09-2013, 04:45 AM

Check and double check.....you are absolutely right! I had simply connected the loop ouputs to the adat bridge from the 192.....now I have connected , as you say, the ext. clock out to the adat bridge it all works beautifully!! hurray...and thanks very much..
Old 04-09-2013, 08:36 AM

You're very welcome :)