Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2003, 06:13 PM

Default ibook and mbox usb problems

Hey. I have a new ibook, which I bought specifically for the mbox and travelling. I record directly to the internal drive, but this shouldn't be an issue, because I never record more than one or two tracks (it's more of an "idea catcher.")

I have two frustrating problems:
1) When I start up my ibook, and launch pro tools with the mbox attached, I cannot get sound from an attached microphone to register in pro tools. I hot-swap the USB ports, restart protools, unplug the mbox, restart the computer over-and-over. Finally, after doing one of these things, I can magically record as if nothing ever happened.

What's even more strange is that during this entire process, the lights on the front of the mbox are on. Also, I can hear myself speaking in the monitors attached to the mbox! The peak lights will be going crazy on the front of the mbox, but I still won't be registering a peep in pro tools LE.

2) Several times, after recording for a while, a very loud, cyclic click will start. Sometimes, hot-swapping the USB cable will work. Sometimes, even that won't help.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems with the mbox?

[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2003, 06:22 PM

Default Re: ibook and mbox usb problems

I have the exact same issue. I appears to be the meters in PT that are refusing to register the sound because, as you noted, the peak lights on the mbox will flash with a loud signal.

I was begining to think it was my mic connection because it would eventually start working and that's usually the thing I was doing at the time, unplugging and re-plugging my mic.

No clue about a fix, it always eventually works though.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:21 AM

Well, I wouldn't care quite so much if it was just the meters. All I can record is silence when it acts like this.

I wonder if this is a known bug with Mbox/ibook, or if there is a workaround.

You're right. After 10-15 minutes of BS, it eventually does work. But those can be 15 minutes of pure stress, when I'd like to be thinking about music and microphones!

Is it possible that it takes Pro Tools 10 minutes to recognize the attached Mbox?

Digidesign, what do you have to say about this?

-will

Quote:
Originally posted by VillageGreen:
I have the exact same issue. I appears to be the meters in PT that are refusing to register the sound because, as you noted, the peak lights on the mbox will flash with a loud signal.

I was begining to think it was my mic connection because it would eventually start working and that's usually the thing I was doing at the time, unplugging and re-plugging my mic.

No clue about a fix, it always eventually works though.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 01-15-2003, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by clorox:
Has anyone else experienced similar problems with the mbox? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, most people has this problem; it is a very well known issue. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

In this specific order:

1- Restart your Mac with your dedicated extension set. Make sure MBox's USB cable is NOT plugged in. Make sure Disk Cache is set to 512K ("Memory" control panel) and the sleep functions are disabled.

2- Boot ProTools and create a new session (or double click on an existing ProTools session file's icon)

3- Plug the USB cable into your Mac.

There you go...

Once it starts going it is rock solid. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-15-2003, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by clorox:
I record directly to the internal drive, but this shouldn't be an issue, because I never record more than one or two tracks (it's more of an "idea catcher.")
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well I work with 24 tracks, all on the internal drive of my iBook. No problems at all. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

I wish I can get more reverbs. I have no problems with compressors, eqs etc but reverbs suck up all the power... [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

iBook G3 500 Mhz w/192 MB RAM
Old 01-15-2003, 06:22 PM

I tried to install the m-box on a friends 600 iBook. 6009 errors...

What fixed it? BTW- all correct settings. Cache 512. Sound panel set to internal. etc.

Eliminating Extensions stopped the 6009s. Similarly, unplugging the USB cable.

Also, he could only get ONE Deverb on a 7 track sesssion (no othe plug-ins). But make sure to set monitor to 256 colors.

BTW- I remember an earlier thread here when it first came out. Upgrading to 9.2.2 solved the plug-in count problem...(but I can't say for sure since his unit is still at 9.2.1)...but I read it here many months ago.

Can anyone confirm that (bump up to 9.2.2)?
Old 01-21-2003, 07:38 AM

I tried this, and still the same problem. I restarted my Mac, started an existing session in pro tools, then plugged in mbox. No good.

I switched USB ports, and that seemed to do the trick. Does one USB port do better than the other?

HELP! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

-will

Quote:
In this specific order:

1- Restart your Mac with your dedicated extension set. Make sure MBox's USB cable is NOT plugged in. Make sure Disk Cache is set to 512K ("Memory" control panel) and the sleep functions are disabled.

2- Boot ProTools and create a new session (or double click on an existing ProTools session file's icon)

3- Plug the USB cable into your Mac.

There you go...

Once it starts going it is rock solid. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 01-21-2003, 07:49 AM
Avid

Clorox,

Go here:
http://www.digidesign.com/download/mbox.html

and download firmware rev.20 and USB driver 1.0.1. These updates should fix the problems you have been experiencing.

regards,
MikeZ
Digidesign Technical Support
Old 01-28-2003, 06:44 PM

Tried both updates. Clicks seemed to go away.

However, I have the SAME problem. Upon reboot, I have to FIGHT to get Pro Tools to recognize the mbox.

It is very wierd, especially because Mac, in "Apple System Profiler", sees the mbox with the Driver Version: 1.097, Release number 0.2 , and the lights on the front indicate sound is coming through (and peaking.)

I am a network administrator for a living, so I deal with computers all day long. What am I missing? I'm beginning to think this is a known bug that no one wants to discuss. I find it hard to believe I'm the only one who's experiencing this, since my configuration is so typical.

Please HELP!!!!!!!!! (or give me my money back) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2003, 06:10 PM

Yep. 6009 blues for me too.

I have tried all kinds of 6009 fixes.

I have not confirmed that I have the latest Digi USB
driver installed.

I will check that tonight.