Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2012, 02:13 AM

Exclamation Please vote to bring back DV Toolkit to CPTK upgrade path for limited time

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...ime/89333-3779

Thank you!
Old 01-09-2012, 09:03 AM

Default Re: Please vote to bring back DV Toolkit to CPTK upgrade path for limited time

thanks for setting this up. it's a longshot, but worth a try.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:02 AM

Default Re: Please vote to bring back DV Toolkit to CPTK upgrade path for limited time

I just heard about this via GS.

I finally had the time to test Protools 10 to maybe buy the upgrade and the DVTK2->CPTK2 upgrade. $600 in all. I hadn't bothered with it before since Protools 9 didn't offer anything significant for me before. The disk cache and other stuff would have been nice I suppose, if it tested well.

Looks like I don't have to bother any longer. I can't believe they didn't make proper, visible announcements about discontinuing this upgrade path much earlier than this.

First two doublings of upgrade pricing on the main application and now this.

I will try to sidestep Protools now whenever possible. I just don't believe it'll get much better. What a bad way to announce this, springing it on us like this after promising to reinstate the upgrade path.

I can't trust anything they say now.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:00 AM

6 copies of DVTOOL Kit.... I'm already starting to remember why I left AVID... hopefully they'll allow cross grades again..

I've purchased 2 copies of protools 10 with 5 more copies coming up. 2 of them HD...
I've pruchased 1 copy of AVID MEDIA COMPOSER and I have to order 4 more... and i'm stuck with this DVTOOL kit crap.

on top of this I just dropped another dime on media composer 5 to media composer 6....

cut me a break...

cheers
geo

Hilton Media Management

Film Doctors http://www.filmdoctors.com
Me... http://georgiahilton.webs.com/
Stage 32 http://www.stage32.com/profile/6569/georgia-hilton
My Production Company http://www.hiltonmm.com

CREDITS (partial) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0385255/resume
MEMBER: IATSE LOCAL 700
Old 01-10-2012, 03:33 PM

Wow Georgia, thats the first time i've seen you rant...

I was waiting to make this purchase to upgrade my DVTK because going to PT9 meant i needed a new computer. Bought the new computer a few days before the discontinued the CPTK crossgrade. Now I'm mixing films without a surround panner, Its really a pain in the ass. Worst part is you cant even sell the DVTK since it is now worthless. Ditching it and moving to PT10 without any toolkit would mean losing Write To All Enabled...i would be lost without that.

During the live chat with the Avid guys after the PT10 launch event, I asked about this specifically to which the answered, they are still working out the crossgrade deatails, check back on the Avid store next week, it wlll be back. That was October

I asked my dealer to call Avid about this in early December. They told him it would be back too, but thet didnt know when He aslo said they were pretty clueless in general and frequently forget about the dealers and telling them anything.

Pro Tools 10.3.9 HDN | HD Omni | Digi Command 8 | Artist Transport | Digi Surround Panner | Blackmagic Intensity Pro | JBL LSR4328 5.1
2.26GHz 8 Core Nehelam 8GB Ram OSX 10.8.5
Old 01-14-2012, 08:48 PM

Wow,

I have never seen a company work so hard at screwing over its customers. Everything you are doing is very BAD! This can't be good for business.

Seriously........
Old 01-15-2012, 07:49 AM

it's interesting that on the german AVID page up to last week there was a DV Toolkit 2 description still on. there was a note that you can save 85% on the upgrade to CPTK. now all toolkit options are gone from the german page.
I know this doesn't mean anything (the webpage can be very mysterious)...
Reaper 6.66, Fireface UCX

MacbookPro M1Pro PTHD2021.12 MacOS12.1
BlackmagicDesign UltraMonitor3G

MOTU 24Ao AppleTB3toTB2->AppleTB2->Ethernet->AVB
Old 01-15-2012, 10:45 PM

There was another thread on this topic which Digi support has now locked, signing off with the statement that that DVTK upgrade was gone and not coming back--they changed their minds about it. (12/29/11)

>>>>Hi everyone,

We apologize for any confusion that may have been created by some of the older posts in this thread. At this point in time, Avid has discontinued the cross-grade from DVTK2 to CPTK2. There are currently no plans to reintroduce this cross-grade.

Thank you for your understanding.<<<<<

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=309496&page=13

phil p
Old 01-18-2012, 03:34 AM

Quote:
We apologize for any confusion that may have been created by some of the older posts in this thread. At this point in time, Avid has discontinued the cross-grade from DVTK2 to CPTK2. There are currently no plans to reintroduce this cross-grade.

Thank you for your understanding.<<<<<
That last thank you is presupposed non-existent sentiment. Another sign of disrespect and contempt, but what else could they say when somebody decided to dump a $300 upgrade path in favour of a $2000 option, after promising to everyone to bring back the $300 option. I'm one of the folks who held off on upgrading because of the trial release. I didn't wish to gamble, and did not have time to test over christmas, and now I'm left with an upgrade path that has increased in price by $1700, because they changed their mind.

It's one lie, followed by a disrespectful statement, IMHO of course.

And we should remember this and nail them down on any promises they make next time. I can't really see how this has done anything but squander good will that a lot of users had towards Avid.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:32 AM

Here's what's going on. AVID's stock price is below $10. The lowest it's ever been. They have to be seen by investors to be "performing" and "increasing margins"

We'll never know for sure, but I bet many of the recent pricing and marketing "surprises" are being driven by the need for management to make the (publicly traded, mind you) company look good to investors.

The economics of a company like AVID have changed. And they needed to be reacting five years ago, not now.

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...h-for-you.aspx

Hopefully, for the platform(s), they can hold the company together.

-jeremiah

ps - Don't get the wrong idea. I personally think the way for AVID to thrive is to be forthcoming, customer-oriented, and stop w/ the unpredictable pricing surprises. It's vital if they're to maintain their market dominance. Soon enough, more and more users will start to vote w/ their wallets. And by then, it's too late.

Last edited by jeremiahmoore; 01-18-2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: (added "PS")