Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-10-2008, 02:10 PM

Default Magma PE6R4 33Mhz/66Mhz chasis

Hello:
Yesterday I received my new Magma chassis upgrade for use with my Apple MacPro (8 cores).
I have some question that I do not find in any documentation.
The mother board has a little "daughter" board that has many switches to configure it, by fabric configuration comes with the DIP switch: 2 ON / 1-3-4 OFF
In the Magma database, solution number 1779, indicates that the pin code of the DIP switch must be: 1 ON, 2-3-4 OFF to work in 66Mhz

I´m very confused in the Magma solutions data base, in the solution number 147, indicates that the jumper J3 should on pins 2 & 3 but my card comes with 1 & 2 conected.

Anybody knows what´s the correct configuration?
Anybody knows where I need to connect the CORE HD card? In slot 9 or 4?

My "daughter" card comes with following configuration:
JP5: jumper 3&4
JP3: jumper 1&2
JP4: jumper 3&4

DIP: ON 2 / OFF 1-3-4

JP2: jumper 1&2
JP1: jumper 1&2

I need to know what is the correct/best switch configuration for my system:
- MacPro (J08) 8 cores 2,8Ghz
- Digidesign PCI-X Accel (6 cards)

Old 04-17-2008, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Magma PE6R4 33Mhz/66Mhz chasis

I just installed mine out of the box with 1 core & 2 accel cards with an 2.8 8-core mac.... worked right away.
If you still need it I could check the settings.

Card in the mac is in slot 4... In the expension board the core card goes close to the power supply (#9) and both accel cards next to it (#8 & #7)... this is also mentioned on the digi site.
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...5&itemid=24876

The only thing Im wondering about was the noise the fan made...
There is a switch to put the fan a bit down but still what a hum...

Hulst Audio Engineering
MacPro (2019) 3,3ghz 12-core, 96gb Ram, 2Tb system SSD, OSX 11.6.1
Avid HDX + HD Native Tb, UAD-2 Octo, RME Hdspe AES, PT2021.12.0
Sonnet M.2 4x4 PCIe (4x 250gb Samsung980pro)
Sonnet Allegro Pro USB-A 3.2, 4-port PCIe
Avid MTRX - 1x 8ch.mic/pre- & 1x da-card, Dante Module,
MADI Module with SFP/LC module multimode 1300nm
MOM by DAD DADman v5.5.0-b2
192 I/O (64 analog inputs)
Avid S1
Genelec 1237A Sam
Genelec 1031A
Avantone mixcube
Rupert Neve RNHP
Old 04-17-2008, 12:18 PM

Aint the PCIe card in the Mac supposed to be sitting next to the Graphic Card? Would that not be slot #2 ? I think it is like that on mine.

The fan is louder than a 747 - I had to get long DVI extensions and USB so I could put it with the machine park in a separate room...

But then again I am allergic to fan noises--- Digidesign's interfaces are loud as a wife giving birth too - wonder if those people making these things never sat behind a mixer in a great and quiet room - ohhh maybe they were deaf

If you have the possibility to invest like $200 it would be a piece of cake setting the Mac in a sep. room.

DVI Extensions = $30 for 2x 15 meters
Digi link 50' cable is $150
USB repeater = $20

So it is actually pretty cheap - and you will love the silence - as a matter of fact - it aint until al those disturbing noises are gone that you notice what you have been missing out on all this time
Old 04-17-2008, 01:16 PM

I just put in a quiet fan into my PE6R4 that ordered from quietpc.com. It's pretty much silent.
Now the only noise is coming from the power supply fan, which in mine has a anoying tone to it as well.

I'm going to change out the power supply as well. I spoke with Magma and they said that
any good ATX 400 watt power supply should work just fine. Magma has two ATX power plugs in their board, but
apparently they are redundant. I called to ask because I couldn't find any power supplies that had
two ATX (20pin). I was told that one is fine, you just need to plug it into the main one (the one with most wires going into it)

QuietPc sells ultra quiet power supplies as well. With that changed out the chassis should just about
completely silent.

It's too bad that Magma sells these things with such noisy fans. Really, they should be putting in ultra quiet stuff considering that the pro audio and video market is probably their biggest customers. Duh.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:07 PM

I disconnected the fan in my 4-slot, and kept a close watch on the internal temperature. The Core and Accel cards don't even begin to sweat, but the power supply is "mildly" warm. Now, that's the only fan noise I hear...
Old 04-18-2008, 05:45 AM

Yeah I also wondered if these core & accel cards were going to be hot, because with only 3 cards in the magma the fan could simply be disconnected ... right?

--- Aint the PCIe card in the Mac supposed to be sitting next to the Graphic Card? Would that not be slot #2 ? I think it is like that on mine. ---

The first & second slot are PCI Express 2.0 slots, the third & fourth are plain PCI Express 1.0 slots, wich the magma PE6R4was designed for... it works great in the second slot too...

My second slot has a Atto UL5D scsi card, and the third slot has an SIIG Firewire card (for the duende). So its getting full in there

Hulst Audio Engineering
MacPro (2019) 3,3ghz 12-core, 96gb Ram, 2Tb system SSD, OSX 11.6.1
Avid HDX + HD Native Tb, UAD-2 Octo, RME Hdspe AES, PT2021.12.0
Sonnet M.2 4x4 PCIe (4x 250gb Samsung980pro)
Sonnet Allegro Pro USB-A 3.2, 4-port PCIe
Avid MTRX - 1x 8ch.mic/pre- & 1x da-card, Dante Module,
MADI Module with SFP/LC module multimode 1300nm
MOM by DAD DADman v5.5.0-b2
192 I/O (64 analog inputs)
Avid S1
Genelec 1237A Sam
Genelec 1031A
Avantone mixcube
Rupert Neve RNHP
Old 12-16-2008, 10:42 PM

Thumbs up Re: Magma PE6R4 33Mhz/66Mhz chasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripit View Post
I just put in a quiet fan into my PE6R4 that ordered from quietpc.com. It's pretty much silent.
Now the only noise is coming from the power supply fan, which in mine has a anoying tone to it as well.

I'm going to change out the power supply as well. I spoke with Magma and they said that
any good ATX 400 watt power supply should work just fine. Magma has two ATX power plugs in their board, but
apparently they are redundant. I called to ask because I couldn't find any power supplies that had
two ATX (20pin). I was told that one is fine, you just need to plug it into the main one (the one with most wires going into it)

QuietPc sells ultra quiet power supplies as well. With that changed out the chassis should just about
completely silent.

It's too bad that Magma sells these things with such noisy fans. Really, they should be putting in ultra quiet stuff considering that the pro audio and video market is probably their biggest customers. Duh.

Tooo right, its a joke how load that thing is, the fan rattles and hums like its taking offConsidering its price why they can't ship silent is beyond me...
Please can you tell me which fan you used from quiet pc, and what happened with the power. I'm not much of a electrics bod so any info on the installation would be great!!

Thanks