Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-04-2004, 11:58 PM

Default Mackie Big Knob

Though you guys might like to know. Just picked up a Mackie "Big Knob" which is a small desktop studio command system. I was using the i3 Audio unit which was okay, but had a pretty cheap volume control that always worked like an old am radio volume control.

Just finished up a long day and the Mackie unit performed beautifully. (going to Genelec 1030a's)

Hope this helps some of you.

Here is a link to the product and NO I don't work for Mackie. http://www.mackie.com/newproducts/bigknob.html

BTW - Bayview Audio has them in stock.

Ron Wasserman
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Mackie Big Knob

Interesting. . . I had signed up for their up-to-the-minute updates on the big knob a couple of months ago and had heard nothing. That is a change, Mackie usually brags about things years before you can actually buy.

Thanks for the news.
Old 06-05-2004, 02:50 AM

Not to rain on your parade but I think the Presonus Central Station is a better choice. For one thing it has DIGITAL inputs. Great for monitoring a digital mixer or CD input. It also is rackmountable so you dont see the sea of wires behind the unit like you would on the mackie thing and it has a remote contol attachment. Finally it has a mic input for a talkback if needed which is what i like to have right in front of me to be able to sing notes to the artist right as the track is playing. It has worked great for me so far.

Check it out at: http://www.presonus.com/centralstation.html

MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 06-05-2004, 11:12 AM

forget the Mackie, I totally agree with MT.Everest about the Central station. For the money, this is the bomb for multi monitor, headphone volume control. I am still waiting for the remote control unit to this thing and it looks good too.

Old 06-05-2004, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Not to rain on your parade but I think the Presonus Central Station is a better choice. For one thing it has DIGITAL inputs. Great for monitoring a digital mixer or CD input.

...yeah, but you then monitor through _their_ D/A converter. What's so special about yet another cheapo DAC?

Regards,

-monte-
Old 06-05-2004, 04:57 PM

Quote:
..yeah, but you then monitor through _their_ D/A converter. What's so special about yet another cheapo DAC?

I would guess that their D/A is better than a consumer CD player or other consumer devices with D/A. Heck, Id even go so far to say that they sound better than the old technology of the original O2R in my studio which I still use as my keyboard mixer.

MT
Old 06-05-2004, 06:33 PM

Quote:

...yeah, but you then monitor through _their_ D/A converter. What's so special about yet another cheapo DAC?-

I was using the D/A on an 01V before (SPDIF from an 888/16). If you're using older DIGI I/O then the DA on the Central Station is probably a step up. Of course if you've got a 192 then the Big knob miight make more sense. The Central Station definetely wins out with the cool blue LED's all over though, and the meters are nice too.

Tim

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 06-05-2004, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Of course if you've got a 192 then the Big knob miight make more sense
Actually, I do use the presonus thing with a 192. If Im using only ProTools then I monitor with the 192 D/A's. The digital input isnt really a major selling point for me other than that its one extra useful option to have for a consumer cd player input. What really matters to me is I wouldnt want to have the Mackie device on my studio table furniture with all those cables coming out of it. I like the simplicity of the single cable that goes from the Central Station to the Remote that sits on the desktop. It give two separate spots to hit the talkback button, which can be spread apart nicely so the producer and engineer arent stepping on each others toes. Its just cleaner looking. I would also assume that the quality build of both are probably about the same. Maybe the mackie thing is a bit more pro, but with all passive electronics I would think that they both are in the same boat. The Presonus thing defintely feels a little amateurish, (the mackie thing not much better tho) but its features and setup options were the selling point for me after looking into a bunch of different monitoring boxes.

What ever works best for the individual tho right?
MT
Old 06-05-2004, 10:51 PM

FYI - I'm pretty much a neat freak and all the wires for the Mackie fit neatly under my Cinema Display. You literally don't see a single wire.

I also agree the other unit seems much better...as it should because it costs about 2 1/2 time as much. Regardless I like coming out analog from the 192 to the Mackie. Call me crazy. LOL!

rw
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:40 AM

Quote:
as it should because it costs about 2 1/2 time as much
very good point. I didnt even think to look at how much the Big Knob costs. I assumed it was the same as the Central Station. For that price it makes it more attractive.

Since we are on this topic and beat the Mackie vs. Presonus thing to death, are there any other comparable products like this that ppl are using for monitoring?

MT