Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2003, 05:39 PM

Default Re: External Word Clock Generator for Digi001? Worth the effort/cost?

Wow, great to see this thread actually getting some posts now! Thanks guys!

I checked out the Lucid GenX - wow, seems like a great buy in comparision to the US$1000-1500 you would otherwise need to spend. But that in itself raises some eyebrows. Obviously having a single master clock source is a worthly benefit, but is its clock better than the Digi's?

The other thing is that it doesn't have SP-DIF or Optical outs, only 6 BNCs and an AES/EBU in. It could be used to distribute the 001's own clock, from SP-DIF out, convert to AES, then into the GenX, assuming the 001 can output WC from SP-DIF regardless of whether or not it's pumping out an actual signal (sorry, my studio is actually packed away awaiting a rebuild in our new place, it's amazing how much you forget when it's not in front of you).

To reafirm Loftman's point, yes, you can't get 18 ins without using the 001's analog in (though you can get around using its preamps, not that they're any worse than the 01Vs, just not as convenient).

Pablo, how do you find the MOTU? I know the Digital Timepiece and the MIDI Timepiece are different products, but because I occasionally sync up other computers to my ProTools rig (usually for VST plugins or stuff I only have on PC), having a centralised MTC point would be great, even if I did need to get a WC distribution device (like the GenX or ClockX) to sync everything up in a 'star configuration' rather than looping everything through.

Urgh, all this word clock stuff is doing my head in. Anyone wanna go back to analogue ;-)
Old 03-07-2003, 06:11 PM

Default Re: External Word Clock Generator for Digi001? Worth the effort/cost?

A good reason to upgrade to 6 is MTC.

I just read over in MIDI--- a digi tech saying MTC is timestamped and outputted early, so it will be in sync with the session. Before it was 1/4 frame sloppy.

Don't know if the MOTU box accepts timestamping early or what...but check over at this post for more details.
http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...;f=37;t=000934