How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 07-29-2020, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Ringing during playback of printed track

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Clocking issue? Try things with just the Omni as interface. And no outboard gear. If that's okay that means PT is okay.

Just tried the Omni by itself with no outboard and it's still doing it.
HDX, Mac Studio, Rupert Neve 511 x 9, Rupert Neve 551 x 8, Manley Variable Mu, Massive Passive, Stereo Pultec, ELOP, VoxBox, and DVC, DBX 160s, Daking Fet III, Distressors, M905 Monitor Controller and other cool stuff.
Old 07-29-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Probably need a terminator. What I'm asking is can you/will you try it with just one interface (Omni on it's own clock). Simplifying things to the bare working minimum is a basic troubleshooting step.

Looks like I missed this quote. See above and I appreciate your help.
HDX, Mac Studio, Rupert Neve 511 x 9, Rupert Neve 551 x 8, Manley Variable Mu, Massive Passive, Stereo Pultec, ELOP, VoxBox, and DVC, DBX 160s, Daking Fet III, Distressors, M905 Monitor Controller and other cool stuff.
Old 07-29-2020, 02:56 PM

Just for giggles I changed the playback engine to my ancient RME card that I have in there and the issue went away.

Could it be a bad HDX card?
Old 07-29-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattafact View Post
Just for giggles I changed the playback engine to my ancient RME card that I have in there and the issue went away.

Could it be a bad HDX card?
Uh oh is this the first time you mentioned HDX? -- nope you mentioned it in the first post and I missed it there as many others may have. Our bad not yours.

Multiple past reports that may be relevant including: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=386672

So yes sure could be a bad HDX or maybe just bad Pro Tools with HDX.

Or maybe you've got a monitoring path there that is not when you use the RME, going to outboards?. You could try save a copy of these session (Save In!) and start doing serious brain surgery on it. Just get in start deleting tracks, sends, etc. seeing if the problem goes away. No subtlety/gentleness involved ... but it migh just be HDX so I'd spend time first looking through multiple past threads and look for "distortion" or "modulation" not just "ringing".
Old 07-29-2020, 05:18 PM

I did as suggested and stripped a track all the way down to no avail. I then ran a digitest and it failed. Will be contacting the seller for a refund.

Capture.jpg
Capture1.jpg
Old 07-30-2020, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattafact View Post
I did as suggested and stripped a track all the way down to no avail. I then ran a digitest and it failed. Will be contacting the seller for a refund.

Attachment 13301
Attachment 13302
Glad you were able to get it sorted this far and that it's pointing to the HDX card. Hopefully you can get a replacement quickly and that the new one works okay. Before you go through sending the card back try a simple thing of removing and then reinserting the card into the computer - might be something as simple as dirty card edge contacts. Kind of weird that it just started happening.

QAPLA!
Old 07-31-2020, 01:27 PM

I sold Matt the card and got it back today. I am in the process of sending him his full refund.

It had worked flawlessly for me for many years. And when I digitested it today, it passed. I was unable to reproduce any recording problem described in this thread. It worked the same as before I sent it. This was done inside of a Mac 5,1 2010 westmere and a 2019 new Mac Pro.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5688.jpg (63.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-31-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esparza audio View Post
I sold Matt the card and got it back today. I am in the process of sending him his full refund.

It had worked flawlessly for me for many years. And when I digitested it today, it passed. I was unable to reproduce any recording problem described in this thread. It worked the same as before I sent it. This was done inside of a Mac 5,1 2010 westmere and a 2019 new Mac Pro.

David has been a great seller through all of this. I would not hesitate to buy from him in the future though he may hesitate to sell to me.