Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2003, 08:09 PM

Default Re: Need help formatting dedicated audio drive

Quote:
Originally posted by da BaSsTaRd!:
if you have 512 mb of ram or more, you can dump the page file altogether if you want.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You might be able to get away with this, but my best advice is don't do it!
By design,Windows XP requires a page file for a number of core functions, and several 3rd-party programs will cause out-of-memory errors if you try to get rid of all virtual memory.

Remember- Windows doesn't actually use the page file until it's needed, so you won't gain any performance advantage by tweaking your system in this fashion.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rail Jon Rogut:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by MadeByNick:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Rail Jon Rogut:
You'll need to use the Maxtor utility I think... buy a floppy drive for the $10 they probably cost.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's not that i don't have a drive. it's that my system doesn't think there are enough resources for one. I've tried installing / swapping out new ones. but that's a completely different can of worms <hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Please clarify this statement... Do you mean you run out of IRQ's... or how is this manifested in Windows as an error?

Rail
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Windows says that my system doesn't have enough resources & to remove devices to enable my floppy drive. That's why I don't use it.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:15 AM

You know what's weird? Those steps were all ready in order for the Virtual memory. My C: drive has an appropriate paging file, and my F: drive doesn't. Always been that way as far as I know. here is a screen shot. Darn thing still won't reformat.

Screenshot of Virtual Memory Window