Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 05-06-2022, 09:36 AM

Default Pro Tools Stopped Receiving A Signal From Digital Piano But Was Working Fine Before

Hi there.

So a while back I loaded up a track I was working on. This track had two Virtual Instrument tracks setup that I had recorded on both tracks live, using my digital keyboard to record a piano section and a string section, using Addictive Keys and Vienna Symphonic Library.
After going back to this track to add some more parts when trying to play anything on the keyboard there was no audio signal coming through and also no midi notation that is in scripted in while you play live.
After trying everything I could find on the forums I decided to do a full reinstall of Pro Tools 11, hoping that would fix the problem.
The full reinstall did not solve the problem so now I'm just sitting here baffled and frustrated with no idea why suddenly one day Pro Tools decided not to work with the Virtual Instrument plugins.
The strange thing is the stand alone versions of the Virtual Instruments work fine. I can load them up and have a nice play away:), but at least this gives me hope and I know the computer is still communicating with the digital piano, but just not through Pro Tools 11 anymore .
The digital piano I am using is a Yamaha P - 45. I've downloaded the Windows 10 driver for it off Yamaha's website.
I love working in Pro Tools so much! It's incredible when everything is working and you can get so much done. Its just a shame when you think everything is working perfectly, then one day its not!

I hope someone can help me out.

Kind regards

Kab
Old 05-06-2022, 09:43 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Stopped Receiving A Signal From Digital Piano But Was Working Fine Befo

So I've just been going without my beautiful virtual instruments for some time now. It gets you down
Old 05-06-2022, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Stopped Receiving A Signal From Digital Piano But Was Working Fine Befo

You have a post from last year about VIs randomly stopping working (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=417609) folks offered suggestions there, but you never replied to those folks trying to help you. Is this related to that? (If so please reply there, don't start a new thread).

You "loaded up a track?" You mean you opened a session? or project?

Sounds like you've got a complex set up with VEP and a third party VI and MIDI driving two tracks. And you sound a bit lost. Start with a new empty session (not from template and not a cloud project) with MIDI grand installed on a instrument track and get that working. No VEP, no dual tracks, no setting yourself on fire and shooting yourself out of a cannon.

But most worrying is "after trying everything" is pretty lazy and tells us *nothing* useful. What *exactly* did you try? Do you expect folks there to waste their time repeating stuff you've already tried or interrogating you to what you have already tried?

So have you checked the most basic stuff? No MIDI getting to the instrument track is usually either MIDI through not being checked or the track simply not being record armed. Is the MIDI device listed and enabled in the Pro Tools MIDI input devices? If it plays to the stand alone VI it tells you the device and driver is working.

While MIDI data is likely the issue you can also check if the the VI is working. Can you mouse click on MIDI grand keyboard in the plugin GUI and hear stuff? See track meters move?

And you are going to try trashing prefs because all Pro Tools troubleshooting always starts with trashing prefs. read "help us help you" up the top of every DUC web page.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-06-2022 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-06-2022, 02:42 PM

You also might check the "Instrument" section of the track(s), (enable it in track view along with inserts, meters, etc). And you might try a midi track and route it to the VI.
Old 05-07-2022, 05:39 AM

Hi, thanks for the speedy replies Darryl And Ben.
I think I've tried what you said Ben. I've posted a screenshot but still I am not getting a sound.
Hi Darryl first of all I have apologised, replied and said thank you to The Weed and Albee for taking the time to try and help me out. Life has been a bit all over the place over the past year!

In response to "You "loaded up a track?" You mean you opened a session? or project?". Yes I loaded up a session.
And yes I am very lost in trying to find a fix.
As you said, I've created a completely new session, loaded up an Instrument Track, loaded up Mini Grand and still I am not getting any response from the digital piano. I can however play notes on Mini Grand's user interface using the mouse and I do get a signal and sounds.

Its hard to explain. I've spent hours on end trawling through the forums and technical help pages, avid/duc/reddit/gears and many others trying to find anything that sounds relevant that may help me in finding a solution to the problem. I started with the basics on the Avid website; making sure you have Midi Thru ticked, making sure you have Default Thru Instrument: first selected MIDI track in preferences set, all the basic stuff in the right place.

Yes "Digital Piano- 1 [Emulated](See screenshot) is listed and ticked in MIDI Input Devices.

There is one thing I am not sure about. In MIDI Studio Setup I cannot find the model of Yamaha digital piano I am using. Does this need to be set?
I'm cant remember if I had to set all this up or it just worked without having to add anything from a fresh PT install.

Thanks again

Kind regards

Kab :)
Old 05-07-2022, 06:56 AM

Note: the screenshots are here, on the other thread:

Digital keyboard / Midi randomly stopped working when using virtual instruments

The "Emulated" device in Audio/MIDI, makes me sceptical. You really should see the Yamaha/model name there. Try a different cable or usb input perhaps?
Old 05-22-2022, 02:20 PM

How about a screen shot of your Midi Studio setup window? This is where you must configure midi controllers to use with plugin instruments. The [Emulated] bit never made sense to me, but has always worked fine here. If the keyboard has regular midi outputs(and you have a midi input available), that is also worth trying(my Akai Advance 61 can connect via USB, but I usually run it with midi cables and a USB-Midi box(MOTU Fastlane here) and its been solid

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-22-2022, 03:27 PM

Dave you might want to move over to the other thread, and see my last questions/suggestions, not seen an answer to those so the OP may have got this sorted out. I am not sure what is going on here with threads I thought at one time a mod had moved stuff around/started to merge these threads.