Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 12-01-2020, 03:30 PM

Default Pro Tools Carbon Latency Problem

Either there is some false advertising going on here, or my system is having a problem. I'm watching an Avid video on YouTube and Jeff Komar has a session pulled up. He has his vocal bussed to a routing folder and that goes to a MixBus track. He has the headphone cue on his routing folder and not directly on his vocal track. He says there will be no latency. Incorrect. I have a Carbon and the moment you put that track to the routing folder and put the headphone cue on that folder there is latency. With my Carbon and PT setup, the only way I get no latency is when my headphone is directly on my track, or if I use the mirrored headphone option and my track is sent to the master.

Does anyone else have a Carbon yet that can weigh in on this? I would love nothing more than for my setup to not be working correctly because it would mean a lost less headphone sends all over the place.

Thanks!
Chris
Old 12-01-2020, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Carbon Latency Problem

And just to clarify one thing... if it is an empty session with no native plugins anywhere in the session, you can do what he was doing.... but if you add any sort of native plugins anywhere you get latency. Even if you add them in your drum folder and you are tracking vocals, there will be latency. In his session/demo, he had native plugins turned on. I set up one exactly like his and the moment I went to monitor a vocal it had latency.
Old 12-01-2020, 03:48 PM

It is hard to know what is going on without posting some more details. Perhaps some screenshots of the session you are running? I would be surprised if Avid were misrepresenting Carbon to that degree. Their description very much falls in line with not just how HDX functions with native plugins, but also UAD DSP systems and native plugins.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:05 PM

Here's a setup of what I'm talking about. If I click to record/DSP enable that LV VS track, there will be latency in my chain because there is a native plugin on a track in the AG group above. In his video, Jeff had this same setup and said there would be no latency.

Old 12-01-2020, 04:08 PM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wn4mwjolwi...%20PM.png?dl=0

The picture didn't show up on my last post so I did the link here.

Last edited by Chris August; 12-01-2020 at 04:09 PM. Reason: picture didnt show up
Old 12-01-2020, 04:10 PM

Chris is posting multiple questions on DUC about his early experience with Carbon. And I believe have multiple support tickets open. Few other people have them. The concerning issue here is where is Avid support? (in the general sense, not just customer support folks). With Chris having several reasonable seeming issues/questions why is somebody knowledgeable from Avid not just picking up the phone and sorting this all out, or helping out here online (like other product line folks do very effectively).

To me poor Avid support is among the largest concerns with Carbon, and so far based on one user on DUC do not look good. It maybe worth noting that some of the helpful support for MTRX on DUC come from DAD staff. And sure hopefully many other folks are running happily and not popping up here...

DUC is just a small view into Avid customer activities, but for an interesting new product why is there not a DUC forum area for Carbon? I cannot work out how a product team would not want that and would not want to be following up directly with new users.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:26 PM

I completely agree Darryl. I'm more than likely returning mine this week. I actually had to hook my Apollo X8 back up because of the CPU heat issue I originally posted about. They finally responded and said its a known issue....which is a CPU running at 100 Celsius. I'm week #1 with it and I've had CPU heat, I/O and latency issues. There was another time everything got out of sync in my session and I simply restarted PT and it was fine. I was trying to get through it because the unit actually does sound really good, but at this point I just don't have it in me to keep going with them.

I also do appreciate this forum and the help/insight it has given me!
Chris
Old 12-01-2020, 04:41 PM

2 things concern me:
1-the screen shot looks like you have not enabled the DSP(the lightening bolt button)
2-what is your playback buffer set to?(which would matter if the DSP routing is not enabled)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-01-2020, 04:46 PM

1. I had the DSP enabled when testing. I opened the session quickly just to take a screenshot of the setup and didn't re-enable the DSP for that.
2. Buffer is 256, but that is irrelevant because I was running DSP
Old 12-01-2020, 05:00 PM

Thanks for clarifying about DSP Mode - have escalated this thread for more assistance. Note that a Carbon subforum is in the works, so you will see that in the Pro Tools Hardware section with related threads moved over.

Last edited by jeffro; 12-01-2020 at 06:22 PM. Reason: typos!