Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2014, 08:46 PM

Default Protools 11HD/Native and the Yamaha Dante Accelerator Card

Is anyone using the Yamaha Dante Accelerator Card with Protools 11 HD Native?

I'm trying to put together the specs to send out to bid after July 1st for a new workstation computer (new Mac Pro) which will run primarily Protools 11 HD Native and QLab 3.

One vendor is telling me that Protools and the Dante Accelerator Card don't work together, Yamaha is telling me that they work fine.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 06-24-2014, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Protools 11HD/Native and the Yamaha Dante Accelerator Card

It looks to me like it's basically an audio interface. If that's the case, then no, it won't work alongside HD Native hardware, because HD Native would be your interface.

However, if you wanted to use the HD software and use the Dante card as the interface instead of the HD Native, then that should work, just like you can use any other interface. Maybe that's what Yamaha meant.

Or am I misunderstanding what this is?
Old 06-24-2014, 09:19 PM

If your using the HD Native card/box then you can not use any other I/O device at the same time

If the Mac sees it as a Core Audio device then Pro Tools should see it but it will be limited to 32 channels of I/O

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro-...dware-checker/
said N12 works what ever that is

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 06-24-2014, 10:46 PM

So the is something that I don't understand. If I have a Protools HD Native system with the Thunderbolt or PCIe card and an Omni I/O, and the Protools HD software, and I don't want to use the OMNI I/O and the HD Native card, but I still want to use the HD software, am I still limited to 32 channels of I/O while using another ASIO or Core Audio interface? (Such as the Dante Accelerator Card).

Is the only way to get above the 32 input limit to stack a bunch of HD I/Os or Madi I/Os?

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Old 06-24-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Is the only way to get above the 32 input limit to stack a bunch of HD I/Os or Madi I/Os?
Yes.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Yes.
That blows. I already have a $40,000 sound console with 64 channels of high end AD (actually 72). All I need to do is get them into Protools.

Why doesn't Avid make an HD Dante interface?

Nuendo is the main option I have for recording and then I would have to import the wave files into Protools in post, which is a PITA.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:00 PM

or any third party HD/TDM compatible IO.

e.g Apogee Symphony.

Or if your want to connect Dante to an actual HD card. http://us.focusrite.com/rednet-protoolshd. Which may do what you need, even if it's not how you want to do it.

Avid does not endorse/support any of these third party HD/TDM connected IO products.

Why does Avid not have a Dante solution today, likely lots of reasons including they are very invested in TDM connected IO and its going to be a while until they want to make all that technology redundant in the market, and Dante is a proprietary solution that might be outpaced by pure open AVB. Avid is already doing interesting stuff with AVB with the S3L. I'd personally like to see them focus on pure AVB as it evolves than anything else.

Is MADI an option on your console?
Old 06-24-2014, 11:09 PM

you can go 64 channels if you go with the MADI interface

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 06-24-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
That blows. I already have a $40,000 sound console with 64 channels of high end AD (actually 72). All I need to do is get them into Protools.
So grab 4 old blue-faced 192digital interface boxes and connect them into your HDN and there you have your 64 inputs. Actually in your shoes I would buy three digital boxes and one 192analog with digital option, so I would have 8 analog outputs as well.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Or if your want to connect Dante to an actual HD card. http://us.focusrite.com/rednet-protoolshd. Which may do what you need, even if it's not how you want to do it.
Yeah, the vendor that I have been talking to suggested a Focusrite Red Net alternative set up. But it's ridiculous. All that extra crap just to pull 64 channels of digital audio that is already on a network. Plus, they don't have a provision for a secondary Dante port for redundant connections like the Yamaha card does.

I can already record 64 channels with the Dante Virtual Sound card. It's easy to do. Just not while staying inside Protools. It should be even easier by adding a dedicated Dante Ethernet card.