Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2009, 11:40 AM

Default external hard drive compatibility with windows and mac

Hi

I will be buying an external hard drive soon for my m-powered PT set up. I use windows at home but the studio with HD uses Mac. Is there going to be any issues using the same external HD for recording to and transferring across the 2 operating systems? i have read about HD's coming pre formatted for one OS or the other, if there is an issue does anyone have a solution/work around to this situation?

cheers
Old 02-22-2009, 03:01 PM

Default Re: external hard drive compatibility with windows and mac

Make sure your running 7.3 or later on the Windows machine and select the HFS+ option while running the Pro Tools installer. This wll add support for reading and writing to Mac formatted disks to your PC.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-22-2009, 03:03 PM

I run mostly PCs and do sessions from Macs all the time. I have installed MacDrive in the PC and read Mac drives with mo problem. I use this method because somtimes I get raw files and want to import them onto an NTFS drive first.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-23-2009, 03:26 AM

thanks for the info..

Sunburst: Is HFS+ something i cannot add once PT is installed initially? I run 7.4 but I am not sure if I selected this option when i first installed it.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpigeonblue View Post
thanks for the info..

Sunburst: Is HFS+ something i cannot add once PT is installed initially? I run 7.4 but I am not sure if I selected this option when i first installed it.
All you have to do is rerun the installer and check it and make sure its checked. I beleive you can rerun the PT installer from the Add/Remove Programs area and chose "Modify" which should give you the option to Install HFS+ support-if not you will need to rerun the installer.

PT's HFS+ support is supplied by MacDrive FWTW.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-23-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
All you have to do is rerun the installer and check it and make sure its checked. I beleive you can rerun the PT installer from the Add/Remove Programs area and chose "Modify" which should give you the option to Install HFS+ support-if not you will need to rerun the installer.

PT's HFS+ support is supplied by MacDrive FWTW.
Sunburst is right. For your purposes, this is all you need.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-23-2009, 08:20 AM

thanks guys, very helpful!